Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Patches' trip to the vet



Oh my God I worry constainly about my birds!



Poor "Smitty" (the budgie with tumor) is still hanging in there.



He is doing as well as can be expected. He eats and still flies around in short bursts. Who knows how long he will live but so far, he is still enjoying life.



"Patches" (my Bradley Cooper look-a -like) has been doing these giant wet poops for quite awhile now. He has also been eating this unusual amount of calcium from his calcium cup. He also has been regurgitating alot as well. I just took the calcium away to see if it would make a difference in his pooping situation. So far, it hasn't, so I figured this warranted a trip to the vet.



His gram stain smear came up negative. However, the vet noticed he had a very red throat. She did a throat swab. Unfortunately, I won't find out the test results for this for about a week.



Another thing she noticed that he had a lump in his abdomen. She looked at me and said, "I think your 'male' has an egg!"



"He " displays all the male characteristics such as talking (only males talk), walks with his wing spread (males walk like this in a swagger) and does 'teenage boy things" to his perch (only males do this). So conservatively, we decided perhap a DNA test would rule out whether Patches was a girl or a boy. (And then again, if he/she has an egg that will pop out soon as well) I won't find out the results from the DNA test for a couple of weeks.



Poor Patches was all in a tizzy in the vet office. He was flying around the operatory. He finally calmed down and sat on my head.



I will keep you updated on his results when I get them.

2 comments:

  1. He could be very nervous about the "tumor." I know that would upset me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too... especially if I thought I was a boy the whole time.

    ReplyDelete