Wednesday, September 14, 2011

the wild pigeons of Salisbury beach part 38



I was still concerned over the baby pigeon coughing up this gross yellowish gelatanious matter. This, to me, was not normal.
My vet was very responsive in returning my emails. I took photos for her to evaluate.
This week, I scheduled a vet appointment.

The vet did a crop flush. This test would speak volumes of the bird's condition. She took multiple cultures of his throat, choana (airway spot), the crop (food pouch)and beak.

Everything came up negative.
"Craow Dum's" chlaymdia test results came back negative as well. Everything seemed fine-except for the beak situation.
The beak is necrotic. The tissue is sloughing off.
This may explain for the mucus expectorating situation too. He is having a hard time breathing around the nostrils.
Nothing was apparent from the gram negative slides. He did not have canker (common in pigeons)He did not have a yeast infection or a bacterial/viral infection.
However the concern was this rotting beak.
The vet prescribed a full spectrum antibotic and antifungal to see if this would arrest what ever was going on with the beak. I was a little hesistant in giving the bird meds since the results were inconclusive but I think I have no choice. I also added vitamen A to his diet (ground spiralina) . (Most birds lack vitamen A which helps in healing.)
All in all, he seems Ok.

He is pooping normally. The giardia meds did the trick. He has a good appetite and has gained weight. He is feathering in nicely. I sit him by the french door for fresh air and sunshine daily.
I will take photos of his beak to see if it actually eroding over time. There is no inflamation but the tissue is turning black and receding. By looking a pictures of pigeons in my vet guide it appears as the bird grows they grow "into the beak". Baby pigeons have almost Jimmy Durante size beak. But Craow Dum has barely a top beak. The bone is exposed and the tissue is turning black.
Today, I gave him a bath to keep him clean.
Thankfully, the vet told me to keep in contact to check on Craow Dum's condition. This beak situation is a mystery. Perhaps she sees this as a "project"
It is still, just one day at a time with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment