Wednesday, March 28, 2012

the Wild Pigeons of Salisbury beach part 63


Craow Dum is now officially the "million dollar bird". I think I am sending the vet's kid through college now by paying for all these visits with this darn pigeon!
Finally, he has completed his month long round of meds.
Finally.
Argh..
I think both me and the pigeon has grown weary and aggravated from this continual regiments of meds. Thankfully, his poop looks normal today.
He was kind of funny yesterday. I left the pet carrier on the floor with his favorite fleece blanket in it. He crawled into the carrier by himself and fell asleep. Only when I covered the carrier with a protective blanket did he "bust-a-move" at me.
He is the star of the show when he goes to the vet. Everyone is amazed at seeing "THE PIGEON".
He did not want to mess up his blanket in the carrier so he held his poop until I took him out for his exam. He then dropped a huge platter-sized runny bomb down my sleeve. The vet assistant thought he was so cute and sweet with his cooing until he pecked her in the eye with his lower beak.
What a brat.
Of course, after his exam he cuddled up to me. He was as happy as a clam to be with his "familiar comfort person".
The vet was unsure if the meds had any effect one way or another. The best guess is that it did stop the deterioration. I don't feel any sponginess around the bone (or bone area) so I am hopeful. The vet was a little concerned with his boogery nose. I had just cleaned his nose before we left for out visit and he was still producing more mucus. She took a sample to be sent out to the lab to check for anything that might be amiss. I would think if is any bacterial it would be gonzo from the major barrage of antibiotics he was on. I am guessing it is just because he is a mouth breather that is why he is producing so much mucus.
Again, the vet was amazed at how good a shape he was in despite his handicap. His feathers looked good and he was clean, mostly because I groom him and wash him daily. He has a good healthy (a bit chunky) weight too.
He is pretty spoiled. A box from doctorsfoster's pet supply arrived on the front stairs with his pigeon seed and Harrison's high potency pellets. I placed a fresh empty kleenex box in his pen as well since he like to play with the box.
"Fresh Baby" (Paris Hilton look-alike cockatiel) hissed at him when he got him. She can't stand all the attention he gets!

1 comment:

  1. What great news! I'm sure you both are glad to be done with the medication cycle.

    ReplyDelete