Tuesday, March 6, 2012

the wild pigeons of Salisbury beach part 59


I've contacted a few folks for advice on my pigeon chat group to see if anyone had a trick on how to medicate pigeons. A few forwarded youtube.com links on tube feeding .
Pigeons have hole at the base of tongue which you have to watch out for while medicating. I tried the methods as suggesting sticking a tube past that area on tongue but my pigeon struggled.It was terrible. I was afraid of injuring him so I stuck with my old method of one drop at a time. I could do it giving him the baytril. I think it is because that particular dose is a small amount.
This morning, however, he threw up food AND all his meds.
My vet called me this morning asking me how he was doing. I told her what has been happening with it slow going plus him throwing up and having diarrhea an hour after the meds. I also told her how I was trying to "tube him" but it was problematic. She said just stick to the one drop at a time business.
The reason for her call was that she found out that his meds needed to be increased to double the amount to be effective.
My heart just dropped.
Doubled?
I really don't think this is possible.
I can barely get this does of meds in him plus I can not leave the house for any length of time as it is.
Later the vet's assistant called me and asked if a pill crushed up would work better. Again, it would work if he ate soft food but his diet is exclusively pigeon seed and Harrison's pellets. I put out a bowl of rice to see if he would eat this. He peck at it but then again he pecks at the writing on a kleenex box. He did not pick up any rice during this attempt of trying to get him to eat it.
I gave him his bath this morning. He loves it. I am going to keep plugging away at dropping his meds in his mouth.This is all to halt the bone eating bacteria from progressing.
Argh....

No comments:

Post a Comment