Sunday, March 11, 2012

March 15 2006


On March 15th 2006, I adopted Carl the budgie from the Methuen animal rescue. From the vague history I was given he had been 'rescued' from a hoarding situation. The people at the rescue told me he was ten years old. I am guessing he was a bit younger, more like six years old. He was extremely grouchy and fearful of people. He had a cage mate , "Betty', who was a bully. I had adopted the both of them but separated them to their own cages. Carl was much happier with his new arrangement.
Carl had one problem though, he threw up a lot. He was later diagnosed with a "megabac" bacterium. I am assuming he had it way back when he was living in the hoarding situation. I am guessing he was not living in the best optimal situation. I took him to the vet and he was treated with amphorecin B in 2007 and then, again in 2009. (Amphorecin B is an extremely expensive medication). Back in 2007 the vet said he would not survive. He did survive and I kept him on amphorecin B for a long time. He continued to throw up but only periodically. I kept his cage clean and fed him the best seed and veggies. He had "birdie" visitors visit him but he preferred staying in his own cage alone. He seemed to have been holding his own for quite a few years. He enjoyed his food and pooped normally. He occasionally would serenade us with a little song.
Last night, I heard some rustling around in the bird room. I was just ready to leap out of bed fearing the birds were having night frights. The rustling stopped and I went back to sleep.I had problems with eyes so everything was a bit blurry.
This morning I found Carl dead at the bottom of his cage.
I am not sure how old he actually was but I am guessing he was at least 12-15 years old. I believe Carl just died of old age.
Regardless, I feel pretty sad that he is now gone.

3 comments:

  1. Carl was one of the lucky birds to have lived with the Salisbury version of Birdman of Alcatraz. May he enjoy tweeting on the other side with his buddy budgies that have gone before him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry to hear of Carl's passing, V. He had a good life with you guys and I'm sure he's telling everyone in bird heaven that there's a little piece of it on Lafayette street. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sigh..I am glad he at least died peacefully surrounded his friends.

    ReplyDelete