Thursday, March 15, 2012

the wild pigeons of Salisbury beach part 60


I spotted "Chocolate milk" this morning on the telephone line. I fed them all as usual. I am getting a few "visitors" on the back deck again since the warmer weather is moving in.
I am on day 15 with giving Craow Dum his meds. I am half-way there. It is stressful for the both of us. The good thing (for him) is that he is getting meticulously groomed during the time I am holding him in a towel. Black crud is sloughing off his beak and cere. He is also a major booger machine. He uses more tissues than a snot-nosed kid! He runs like a son-of-a-gun when he sees the (evil) blue towel. When he sees the towel he knows it is "medicine time".
I just ordered online at a pigeon specialty shop another pigeon guide and some probiotics for after he is finished with his medicines to get his digestive flora back to normal.
I read a lot of the postings on the pigeon chat group. I am amazed at how many people post from around the world! People from New Zealand, Iran, India, Belgium, Jordan..you name it! It is a very active chat group as well. I never knew there was so many different types and variations of pigeons. Unfortunately, there are not that many "enthusiasts" in the New England area. I can't even find a club. The only people that post from the northeast US area are "rescuers" that find lost or injured birds.There is still the stigma (in this region) that pigeons are dirty and worthless- which is unfortunate.
*the above photo was posted on the pigeon chat group. It is a Lebanon dewlap pigeon!


2 comments:

  1. I wonder how many of the enthusiasts are Bhuddists. They value all life. As do you, of course. Hey, maybe you're a reincarnated type via the Bhuddism trail. It could be true, you know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No doubt.
    Reincarnation is just God's way of recycling "good stuff"!
    And I am a big fan of recycling, refurbushing and rehoming :-)

    ReplyDelete