Sunday, March 4, 2012

the wild pigeons of Salisbury beach part 58


It's only day four of the 28 day medicine regimen for Craow Dum.
I am basically tethered to the house for a month since I am giving 5 doses of meds a day to him.
Two times a day (.12ml) doses of enrofloxicin and three times a day( .6ml) doses of clindamycin.
It takes close to half an hour each time to administer the meds since I can only give one drop at a time on the pigeon's tongue in order for him to slurp it up. It's slow going because the clindamycin tastes awful and I do not want him to choke. During this time, I give him a break to walk around and take in the meds that sit in his mouth. He sneezes and coughs during the process. I also have to clean his boogery nose and mouth of debris constantly.
The enrofloxicin is a smaller amount and since it is a compounded mix (mixed with a flavored fruity syrup) it is easier to take. The clindamycin, however, tastes like bitter beetles. (Yes, I've tasted the clindamycin and have eaten beetles~by accident) The enrofloxicin and clindamycin are both very strong antibiotics.
I have to make sure he doesn't wander into the living room within an hour after taking the meds because he has diarrhea as a result. I also have to have him wait an hour before he eats too because on day one of the meds he threw it up. I wish there was an easy way to give him his meds. One person on my pigeon chat group suggested soaking a bread ball with the meds. I am nervous about mixing food and the meds so I haven't tried that. He has never eaten bread either. He's only eaten his pigeon seed/pellet mix.
I am finding that patience is crucial.
I can not rush or be made to feel rushed with each procedure.
He still craves his time on the couch. Thankfully, the fleece blanket on the couch can be easily washed (and dried). He purrs like a cat when he is petted and cuddled. He snores like an old man when he takes his afternoon nap.
I can't be sure of how his beak will look after his regiment is complete. I don't know if the scrotty looking bone will change colour or look any different either. I don't know if the bone area heals up and a prosthetic beak will be in order. He's seems to have adjusted to his handicap.He's never really had a proper beak since day one so I don't think this will be necessary.
I just want him healthy and disease free.

3 comments:

  1. Lucky pigeon to have you as his nurse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately I am tethered to the house. I have to stop,breath and repeat. PATIENCE. one drop at a time. he is doing ok, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. la anatomia de la paloma es muy interesante!

    ReplyDelete