Sunday, March 18, 2012

the Bird lady of Salisbury


Last night, I saw the movie, "The Bird man of Alcatraz" (Starring Burt Lancaster in 1962).
My cousin recommended it.
She said she thinks of that movie whenever I tell her about my bird keeping stories. I must say, it was a very good movie.
I also found it refreshing to see a (prison) movie that did not involve violent gay sex or inundated with raunchy talk. The movie stayed on course just showing how his obsession with birds evolved.
I did have to laugh when the birds started to get 'busy" and laid eggs. He eventually had all these birds flying around in his prison room. His room didn't look any different than my dining room with all the cages, birds flying around and bird books.
My only problem I had with this movie was the scene where the birds were getting sick and dying.
Those birds aren't actors...
So I am guessing there was actual sick birds used in some of the scenes.
I know years ago horses used in old time westerns were seriously hurt (and sometimes killed) during some of the filming. It wasn't until recent times that animal rights groups were called out to protect animals from mistreatment (and potential injury) in movie making.
I get the chills thinking of those movies that involve giant fish tanks breaking!
Who knows, maybe I'll get a call to be on one of those "reality" TV shows.
Extreme Bird Keeping!

1 comment:

  1. I saw a preview of a movie called "Tanked" or "Tank" on the Discovery channel last night. It's about a family of three guys who build EXTREME fish tanks for a living. I think you'd get a kick out of it. They showed fish tanks built to accommodate a skate boarder's jump and constructed out of a car. I only hope the fish in them get proper aeration and tank cleanliness.

    ReplyDelete