Sunday, April 18, 2010

stegosaurus in the city


Blackberry. Bluetooth. Blueray.Hi-Def. Digital. IPhone. Ipod. Ipad. Kindle. High speed.Fios. TVo.Texting. Sexting. Twitter.MP3 player. PS3. Xbox. Wii system. Gameboy.Facebook.Notebook. Call waiting.
99.9% of these things I have no idea of what they are or what they do but everyone else on the planet seem to be captivated and engrossed.
I just get overwhelmed just from names alone.
I must be technologically retarded.
There are days I feel like the main character in Aldous Huxley's "Brave New World". Everyone is doped up and happy and, I am allergic to the wonderdrug "soma".
I wander around just not getting 'it'.
Last January, when I was flying down to Houston to a parrot conference. I looked around the plane and observed the general audience aboard. Most of the people on board had laptops working on projects. Some had laptops with DVD players. I saw a few kindle readers, gameboys, ipods and iphones with games.
It was amazing.
Am I missing out in something?
I had my book, magazine and writing stationary (yes, I still write letters to out of state friends) to keep me entertained and busy on the flight.
I am certainly not opposed to technology or else I would not be sitting here typing this blog on my computer. And I do find ebay a fun way to shop too.
I guess part of me is just one big dinosaur that just finds too many technological toys a bit suffocating.
It's going to be interesting the next time I need to buy a new car. All the cars have key less ignitions, automatic locks, ipod stations and a ton of other useless and confusing add ons.
I like things that are simple and comforting.
To be honest, I'd rather just stay home and play with my birds than to have all this expensive crap.

2 comments:

  1. Computers are great... as far as all that other stuff goes? Honey? You ain't missing a thing.

    I tried to use a Kindle... I can't do it. I can't read books on my computer either. It bugs my eyes. I need the actual book in my hands. I do love my GPS though. It's the only reason I able to make it home from Trader Joe's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you, V. I don't text message from my cell phone and neither does The Captain. We drew the line at that point in the technology explosion.

    ReplyDelete