Monday, April 19, 2010

committment


Everything I do I plan around my birds.
When ever I have a customer scheduled early morning, or plan to spend a day with a friend, or get geared up to go scuba diving for the day, or plan to go on a vacation the first thing I think about about is, "OK, if I get up at ......then I can get everyone ready or will I be late and do I need to schedule my pet sitter?". I have to schedule and plan my day around caring for my birds.
The mimimal amount of care I give my birds is a twice a day clean and feed. This takes about 30- 40 minutes each time. This a part of my normal everyday routine not unlike going for a morning run, bathing and brushing my teeth. It is just something I just do. I've been doing this for about 9 years now.
I know some people get annoyed with me whenever I say, "I gotta get home now and take care of the birds". They don't understand that my birds depend on me and wait for me to come home. This is the highlight of their day and they expect their daily regiment.Many times when I get home after a long day they will have debris in their water dish which has to be cleaned or else they get sick or they will have pooped in their food dish in which they will not eat from (would you?)
I never really give it much thought except for when I am sick. Just rinsing their dishes out and replacing the paper on the bottom of the cages can be a major project. Thankfully my husband is just as neurotic about keeping the birds clean and well fed as I . He will help out whenever I ask him.
Whenever I have potential bird boarder customer stop by to check out where their bird will be staying the customer will always remark at how clean my house is. It is not just a matter of having clean cages I have to constainly clean and upkeep my house. I wash the floor with bird safe environmentally pet friendly cleaners every week, I vacumn the floors at least twice a day because of seeds, poop, feathers, feather dust and pellets. I have to dust and wipe the walls down because of wayward poop and feather dust every week. Tablecloths and curtains have to be changed regularly. I even have to wash all the teacups up on top of the cabinets once a month because Eddie will fly up there and make a mess. I'll run their dishes and plastic toys through the dishwasher every week as well. Once a week, I give their cages, perches and toys a good soapy water cleaning.
The birds themselves have to be inspected and offered a bath in a little basin. I trim their nails every month. I groom their heads of itchy feather sheaths and pick any debris off their feathers in spots they can't reach everyday.
Like I said, I never really give it much thought it is just something I do. I consider it to be my job to care for them since they are dependent on me for everything. Plus it is something my customers would expect (and I would expect as well!) when leaving their beloved birds in my custodial care.
It is not that much different when you go to somebody's house and see a magnificent well kept flower garden. It's a lot of work but it is something that becomes a part of you in your daily life.
When I used to have a motorcycle it required a lot of work as well. Repairs, oil changes, oil and air filter changes, changing the plugs, washing and waxing the bike and lubing the chain. Yearly inspections and winterizing the bike were a necessity as well. Also with all of this you want to spend time actually riding the bike as well. My motorcycle took up a lot of my time but it was worth it.
Yes, having birds is big commitment but it is so worth it! :-)
And, I spoil them too!

3 comments:

  1. If it doesn't bother you, then it shouldn't bother anyone else. They're not doing the work, you are...it may be a bit of an inconvenience for them if they're waiting for you to get ready to go out, or if it cuts your visiting time short...but it's part of who you are...if they're true family and friends who love you, they'll deal. Your hubby is a good man.

    Joe sees how happy Ritzy makes me and has mentioned several times that he'll get me my own horse if I want one...I've been thinking about it, and I know I'm up to the challenge, but I have some reservations. My first worry is that it will hurt Ritzy's feelings... my second is, who will take care of it if we go away somewhere on vacation? I would have to have some sort of plan in place for all the "what if's" before I will even entertain the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG how exciting!!!Isn't that every little girl's dream to have a pony? (horse):-)
    Yes, as an "adult" you have to weigh the pros & cons of "adopting" a animal. If the pros out weigh the cons then go for it!
    As far as having someone care for the horse while you are away log onto www.petsit.com
    There are pet sitters who do horse and farm animals. (My pet sitter specializes in horse/barn care)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fox, you could get a lawn ornament or a rescue horse if you had the space. You don't have to ride it, just brush it and love it. I would do it in a heartbeat.

    I think V's commitment to her feathered friends is the best kind. It's voluntary and done with love.

    ReplyDelete