Tuesday, April 20, 2010

dog poop bags


*WARNING! Contents of this post may be gross and offensive to some readers!

There is nothing that aggravates me more than seeing a pile of dog crap on the street, sidewalks, on the beach, etc.. There is absolutely no excuse for this.
When ever I walk my dogs I wear (what I call my "batman utility belt") a fanny pack with a pocket full of plastic bags. I also installed a clip-on roller full of doggy waste bags as a backup just in case I run out of plastic bags. I also carry vinyl gloves in my pack since grocery bags tend to have holes in them. I found this out the hard way.
One day while I was jogging with Ruby and Jack on the Plum Island beach off season. Ruby did "her business" and I promptly picked it up in my Demoulas plastic grocery bag. We continued the jog and felt something "wet" on my leg. I looked down and almost threw up. The poop bag split and splashed all over my leg while we were jogging.
Another time when I picked up the dropping using the bag my hand went right through the bag thus grabbing the turd with my bare hand. Gross.
(I also keep wet wipes in my car as well!)
I don't really like to use grocery plastics bags because they are thin, have holes in them (so you have to double bag them) and as my cousin said to me, "they don't degrade. The turd becomes mummified the enclosed bag". At some point, the grocery stores will most likely stop using them to bag your groceries since the stores are encouraging you to use re-usable shopping bags.
To be honest, I use the plastic bags at least for now, for dog poop bags because they are "free".
My father "recycled" all this newspaper bags for me so I can use them for dog poop bags. They are study, waterproof and long. They only problem with them is that they are relatively narrow so they aren't so good for dogs that drop big bombs. My cousin, who is very "Al Gore" friendly, introduced me to some poop bags that she bought online that are "biodegradable earth friendly' made of a corn starch product. I can't remember the name of the product but I will most likely be converting to these type of bags soon.
There has been a lot of discussion about having an enclosed dog park in Newburyport that dogs can go unleashed. I think the concept is great. I know one of my dogs, Riley, would really benefit running leash-less since she is a ball of energy. I think for the most part dog owners are pretty good about following the rules but there are thoughs who feel rules are for suckers and rules don't apply to them (or their dogs) I've seen these @$holes who have unruly dogs that go after well behaved dogs. Of course, these @$holes blame everyone else for their misdeeds. I've heard this lame excuse time and time again, "oh "Brutus" just wants to play! It's not his fault!"They are the same ones who never pick up after their dogs either.
One day while I was on the beach feeding the pigeons. I had this pud yell at me for feeding the pigeons and "making a mess". He had the balls to say this to me while his dog was squatting and dropping a load. I said to him, 'hey buddy, your dog left a package.... pick it up!" He turned and scowled at me. I would generally report him to the towns' dog officier but he is as useless as tits on a bull. There are signs all over the beach regarding "no dogs on the beach" and a strict fine regarding dogs pooping on the beach. Dogs run wild even on the busiest crowded day on the beach. I've seen the dog officer multiple times with his fat arse parked on a stool in dunkin donuts while getting paid as pit bulls ran amok mid afternoon on a busy July day. (Sorry, but it is true)
I've had people stop me and scold me for not picking up when ever they spotted Ruby squatting. Like I say and stand firmly on, I always pick up after my dogs.
Ruby squats to pee. She's a girl and girl dogs squat to pee. I am polite with these good intentioned people and agree with them on the virtues of picking up after your dog. I also explain the differences between girl dogs and boy dogs as far as how they urinate.
So the moral to this story is "please pick up after your dog! It's good for the environment and good for the community"

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL!! I used to have the same issue with the plastic store bags. You don't want that to happen when you're walking a St. Bernard, so you learn to check the bag first. I've also caught people in the Arboretum letting their dogs go in the bushes, and then not picking it up...and I've spoken up about it. One guy insisted that "It's in a bush, no one walks there"... Then I pointed to a group of little kids playing hide and seek in the bushes a few yards away... I stood there staring at him until he picked it up. In his anger, he abruptly stepped forward, and opened the bag to make sure I could see it's contents. Just as he closed it, a chunk fell out of a hole in the bottom, and onto his nice, white, Nike sneaker. He tried to knock it off with the toe of the other shoe, only to make it much, much worse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry for the delete. I posted before editing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. omg tht wuz funnnyyy

    ReplyDelete
  5. u no, the picture if u no wat i mean..lolz

    ReplyDelete