Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Pinkhead


Sadly, I had quite a few budgies that had passed away on me.
Dexter, Dixie, Wilson, Betty, and Pinkhead. I had "Dover' the racing pigeon and "Marie" the zebra finch that had also sadly died. Each little bird had their own story but Pinkhead has remained "famous" in our house.
We bought Pinkhead on a whim at a nice bird shop in Amherst, NH. He was the only one left in the budgie cage. He was remarkably pretty being a turquoise color. I thought Whook would enjoy another male budgie companion since he seemed to miss Wilson and Dexter.Dixie seemed lost without Wilson too.
Pinkhead, however, was a bit of a hellion. I ended up calling Whook, Dixie and Pinkhead "the Gangs of New York" because they loved to gang up and terrorize the cockatiels.
As mentioned in other posts, Pinkhead later became the father of Twillinger by mating with grouchy fat Betty and later, viciously turning on his former friend Dixie.
The thing that made Pinkhead stand out was how selfish he was . It was to a point that it was rather hilarious. In the summer, when we cooked corn on the cob I would leave two ears of corn on top of the cages for the birds to enjoy and share. Pinkhead decided that both ears of corn were his only. He would stand on the corn and not let any of the birds near it. When the birds went over to the second ear of corn Pinkhead would fly on top of that one too and peck any birds that went near it.
So when ever I felt my husband was being a hog or selfish (and vise versa) we would call each other "a pinkhead". If I was sitting on the couch not offering to share i.e. cookies with my husband he would say, "hey Pinkhead!"
So Pinkhead will live forever in infamy!
Oh by the way, the reason this budgie was named "Pinkhead" was because he used to have a bright pink head due from rubbing his head in a pink calcium cup . His photo (above) shows him with a "clean" head (no pink dust this time)

2 comments:

  1. Never a dull moment at your house! Love the stories...keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I appreciate your input! :-)

    ReplyDelete