Tuesday, April 13, 2010

the adventures of Mattie


Mattie is a regular dog walking client of mine. If you saw her you would immediately say, "awwwww isn't she cute!"
But looks are deceiving . My cousin picked her up one day bringing her close to her face (big mistake). Mattie bit her on the nose.
She is a clever naughty little thing. She definitely has a mind of her own. For one thing, she hates to go outside when it is cold and rainy.
She would prefer to sit on the couch all day and eat treats (who doesn't?) When it is a crappy day she will run and hide under the couch because she doesn't want to go out. She will have pooped on the rug and look at me as if to say, "see? I'll already went so I don't have to go out!"
I find that I have to bribe her with treats to get her leash on so I can get her to go out. As a result of all the treat bribery, she is starting to look like a sausage. This is not good. My job is to get her out to exercise so she doesn't get fat.
I've tried stepping up her routine by jogging with her. I figured how hard is it to run with a little jack russell terrier? I know it is impossible to try to run with two dogs because each dog has their own ideas on where to go. The first part of the run with Mattie seemed to be fine. She seemed to enjoy running.
However...
She would stop abruptly right in front of you to sniff a squished something or other in the street and then decide to go in the complete opposite direction thus causing you to stumble arse-over-tea-kettle. This has happened six times in the short 35 minute time frame. Most of the time she just refuses to stay on course and lunge towards the neighbors yard to sniff that big pile of crap sitting temptingly right in the middle of the lawn. Or she would decide that she wasn't going to go up to the end of the street because the" big brown scary dog" was chained up in the yard.
So I figured jogging wasn't going to work so we would just walk at a good pace instead.
Yesterday she did just fine (or so I thought). We were going at a good pace and she wasn't pulling too badly. When we got up to the far end of the street I felt this slight tug, I looked down and there was her leash and collar dangling in my hand.
Oh shit..
Mattie looked at me and BOLTED down the street. She ran so fast that she tumbled over herself. She turned to look at me as if to say, "ha ha sucker!"
Oooh that little brat!
I sprinted after her. It was like a three stooges obstacle course in trying to get her. She ran through the neighbors yard slipping under fences briefly stopping to sniff any dead mice or garbage. She ran under porches all the time turning around to see if I was following. I thought my heart was going to burst out of my chest in the chase. At that point, I felt there was no way I could catch her so I did what I could to bribe her back to the house.
Treats!
I got the treat bag and shook it, yelling, "Mattie! treats!"
It worked.
She wandered back to the house as if nothing happened.
I don't know about her but I surely got a workout.

3 comments:

  1. Be careful with overusing that one too... they eventually start weighing the treats against the freedom of roaming. Sometimes treats lose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The treat bribery trick is already starting to wear off. She would prefer to lay around all day eating treats and pooping on the rug rather than going outside. I need Cesar!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a great story teller, V. I laughed out loud at Mattie's antics.

    ReplyDelete