Friday, April 16, 2010

being a "Princess"


"Princess"is a pearl female cockatiel who is boarding with me this week. She has been a regular client at our 'birdy camp". I've noticed a big positive change in her behavior since she has been staying with us on a regular basis. Princess's owner has noticed how much more social Princess has become since she's been with us.
Princess's original owner in Florida had basically neglected her and relegated her to the laundry room when ever she made noises. Princess had became fearful and most likely depressed. Her current owner who was visiting this person at the time felt sorry for Princess and asked if she could adopt Princess. Princess then came home to Massachusetts to a much more loving environment.
Princess is a bit of a grouchy little thing. She requires at least 12 hours of sleep at night. She is much more receptive to 'stepping up" when she has had a good night sleep. I take her out to sit with me and socialize with the other birds during "TV time". They all line up on their favorite spots. One will sit on my sock, another on my lap, another on my shoulder etc..
She has learned to eat dandelion greens because she has watched the other birds eating it. It is a very healthy food for her."Button" taught her to climb up and down on a little bird ladder. She was terrified of it at first but then she saw Button climbing up and down on it she became very interested in this new activity. I can always tell when she is tired and has had enough for the day. She will have a full blown tantrum just like a little bratty 2 year old when something is not right with them. She just needs patience and understanding.
Yesterday, I noticed and it worried me that she was not stepping up on my hand like she had done in the past. I was trying to figure out what was amiss. Button was avoiding me as well. I know sometimes the birds get stand offish whenever I wear my "seaside pet minder" t-shirt with the giant embroidered parrot on it. It must scare the crap out of them so I take it off and wear something else when I tend to them.
I had just got my hair done and I had treated myself for a manicure and pedicure as well. The winter was not kind to my feet and hands since I am out trudging in the the worst of weather. My girlfriend and I had a "who has the scrottiest feet" contest and I won hands down. So I figured I needed a little cosmetic work. Most people have their nails colored either a red or a wine color. When I do my nails at home I always pick a pearl color but this time having it professionally done I decided on a bright blue color.
Within the first five minutes of leaving the shop and walking into my house. "Eddie" came over and bit my nail as if she was trying to pull it off. So much for my $20.00 flawless shiny nail job. "Button' who is usually super friendly flew away from me. "Princess" had a full blown tantrum and ran around the table like a nut.
They were afraid of my blue nails and let me know it!
Talk about creatures of habit and do not like change. I am trying to hide my nails so that they will "step up" but when they see a nail poking out they eye it warily. Unfortunately to keep peace in the house I will most likely have to remove the color off my nails.
Do these birds rule my life or what!?!?

3 comments:

  1. I think I'm with the birds on that one, Oh Saintly one. I've never been a fan of blue... not in hair, not on nails, not even as a wall color. According to me, (and apparently all of the Atlantis fauna)...blue belongs in the ocean...not on your fingernails. :o)

    (Ha ha ha...my verification word is USELESS... more than likely referring to my opinion)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Step up" is when the bird will step up on to your finger and perch.
    I almost picked lime green for nail polish but green fingernails have too many gross connotations connected with that color so I opted for bright blue instead. (:-P
    Oh if I was younger I probably would have aqua streaks in my hair! (:-O
    Blue is such a cool color!

    ReplyDelete