Friday, April 9, 2010

Ageism


Lately I've been thinking about my Aunt Grace.
She passed away about 25 years ago or so in her 80's. When people would meet her they would remark at how "attractive" and "pretty" she was.
And she was.
She would always dress fashionable too in her pastel suits or fitted pedal pushers and ked sneakers.
She immigrated into this country when she was in her late teens from Scotland. She lived here in the states, on a house overlooking Quincy Bay, high on the rocks. She worked at the original Dunkin Donut's headquarters in the accounting department for years. She liked her evening shot of whiskey along with a good cup of tea.
She was a tough ol' bird. When we would come to to visit her we would have to do the requisite plunge into Quincy bay's water. Since there was no beach front, we would climb down on the rocks wearing our ked sneakers and then catch a wave leaping into the icy waters without testing it or slowly getting used to it.
Jesus, that water was so frigging cold.
Aunt Grace was always the first one in the water. I think about her every once in the while wishing I had spent more time with her because she was pretty cool. I guess when you are young you are rather self absorbed pursuing your own personal quests than spending time getting to know older relatives.
And now, she is gone.
The other day I was watching the cartoon "the Simpsons. I generally find this show funny and I know my nieces and nephews never miss an episode. This particular show I found a bit disturbing.
It focused on Homer's father.
They depict him as a senile, drooling, forgetful gross old guy. The whole show based their laughs from him falling asleep when having a conversation and doing other other things making fun of his advanced age. I know my nieces and nephews were probably laughing at this reinforcing the myth that" old people are gross and stupid".
When I was a teenager, I worked in a nursing home to pay for community college. I would bitch and moan when ever I was put on schedule to work holidays. However, I knew when I finally got home we would celebrate the holiday then because my father would be working the same time shift as well. What was disturbing was how many residents never had visitors on the holidays. What was even more sad is how many residents would dress in their best and wait for family that would never show up. I remember when I was 16 years old I made 33 felt Christmas wreath pins to give to each of the residents as gifts. Somehow I thought this might make the day a little brighter. I really don't think it did but I just felt bad that they were stuck there and I could go home after my shift.
I just read "Dear Abby" on the subject of pet adoptions focusing on considering adopting an older pet. Most people ignore older pets because some may require extra care. My Mother's 18 year old cocker spaniel was just like an old guy. He limped, he was bald and he farted nonstop but he was sweet loving companion.
I actually liked him more as he got older. There was something really cute and endearing about him as he aged.
Many of my birds are older adoptees. Lucille has problems with her sight. I have to careful with her because she flies into things.
African grey parrots can live to 80 years. If I was ever to adopt an african grey parrot I would not want a baby. I would adopt one closer to my age so that we could grow old together.
My parents are aging and I worry about them. Maybe it was a good thing I worked in the nursing home because I learned some sensitivity towards older folks.
The question is: will the next generation care?

4 comments:

  1. nice, sensitive story.
    BTW, maybe we can be roomates someday in a home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I kind of feel like kids are more and more desensitized with each generation...toward everything, not just the elderly.... Lessons in manners, common decency, and respect for others don't seem to be as important to the parents of today as the were to the last generation, or the one before that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...and yet there are more families with several generations living under one roof than there were when I was young. Cal's kids have their kids, their kids' boyfriends, their grandkids and grandbabies and grandmothers-in-law in their homes. The tough times dictate that anyone with space take in those who can't afford to live separately. I guess it runs in the family because that's what his grandfather did during the Depression. Maybe it'll cause those young whippersnappers to appreciate us old timers more - or maybe not :^)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Long live Aunt Grace and her Lincoln Logs

    ReplyDelete