Tuesday, June 12, 2012

the wild pigeons of Salisbury beach part 75

This morning while feeding the morning beach pigeons I  noticed 'the Rock" was stumbling as he tried to walk over to the pile of seed. His feet were tied together by line. Sadly, once again yet another pigeon has been entangled in old fishing line unable to free itself.The other pigeons were pecking him since they realized he was weak.He won't be around for too long.
Last Friday as I was drying Craow Dum's face after his bath, I felt a donut -like ring encircling around his eyes .It felt almost telescopic. I also felt a hump on his forehead that I never felt before. Something was telling me that this was not normal.
I called the vet.. She thought it might be sinusitis from what I described. She suggested that I bring him in to the clinic for an examination..
Sure enough, both eyes were protruded as well has this new hump on the frontal portion of his head.
The vet also noted "tissue changes" in his throat and oral cavity since his last vet visit (which was only a month or two ago).
This was not good news.
We like to think of animal doctors as curing our beloved pets making the story end with a Disney-like  ending.
In reality the vets are also the bearer of bad news.
 It's not all happy happy happy. They also have the awful job of having to put animals to sleep or telling the owner despite numerous treatments/operation that nothing else can be done or sometimes even during a seemingly routine procedures an animal can die.
I asked the vet if anything can be done to help Craow Dum. She said at this point nothing medically can be done. She suggested doing a CT scan  for diagnostic purposes only to verify that he indeed has a granuloma mass spreading in his skull but the end, she didn't push it because she didn't think he would survive any surgical procedure.
She said I was doing the best that could be done for him by keeping him clean, fed and happy.
The best mode of care for him is to just  keep doing what I am doing.
I do not know how long he will live.
 It won't be long.
Maybe three months, six or maybe a year, yet doubtful.
I suppose it is a miracle he has thrived and survived this long with everything he was up against.
He just climbed up the stairs to sit with me while I type on the computer.
He doesn't seemed bothered.
He is happy today.

1 comment:

  1. He is already a medical marvel, V. You've brought him so very far.

    ReplyDelete