Thursday, June 21, 2012

first day of summer 2012

Up in the Boston area we were bracing for a heat wave hitting temps up to 100F.
I knew beach traffic would be terrible so after I finished my jobs I took a ride down the beach on my beach bike.
The beach was completely packed.
The heat and blistering sand were unbearable.
 I  knew I had to go in the water. The waves were massive and there was a really bad undertow. People were getting bowled over like candlepin pins by the waves by just standing in calf deep of water. I waited til the waves calmed down and did my usual "run like a manic" into the water without thinking about it.
Yes, it was cold but not unGodly freezing. It felt soooo good to cool my head. I tried to stay past where the waves were sucking people in and crashing. I saw a bathing suit (or two) well up from the sea foam.
The water was so refreshing.
Seriously, I live in the best place on earth!
When I got home I turned on the central AC to cool the  house down.
Hmmm, that's strange. It never kicked on.
Something is wrong.
I figured perhaps the motor burned out so I called a AC repair-man to check it out.
They were backed up and didn't know what day they could get there.
Oh great.
My husband came home from work and I told him the story. He thought perhaps a circuit was tripped or maybe a wire broke off. He went outside to the unit and uncovered the compartment were all the wires were.
I heard this horrible scream.
I ran out worried that he had electrocuted himself.
He stood two feet away from the unit horrified and dancing around.
Underneath the panel looked like the stuffing from a dirty cushion.
Except for.....
It was moving.
It was a massive mouse nest filled with all kinds of mice. Dead ones, rotten ones, bits of mice and heaps of live babies.
He turned the circuit breaker off.
I took a stick and pushed the nest out.
Mice scattered.
The smell was terrible.
My husband ran in the other direction completely grossed out.
I cleaned the nest out using a stick, toothbrush and a vacuum to reveal chewed wires.
Hopefully tonight since the nest is now gone he will be able to replace the damaged wires.
It is F*&^ing hot out!

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, V. That sounds like a real adventure. I'm tninking: fans. Lots of fans.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I showed your blog entry to Fred and he said to tell you:
    "She should start writing now and not stop until
    she has a book. Far too many people say they
    can't, when obviously they can - like her.
    From Incisors to Iguanas
    From cuspids to cats
    In the animal house"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the encouragement.
    As you can see, I am having fun with just day to day "adventures" :-P

    ReplyDelete