Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Frankenpigeon part 7

I got a call from my vet informing the results of the cytology report that was done on the inside of the sinus cavity when the cyst fell off.
It is indeed a bacterial infection that is deep in the bone-just as we seen on a previous cytology report. The offending bacteria was klebsiella.
At least it wasn't a mycobacterium (TB)
Regardless, the medicine used should have been effective against this bacteria. I've used so many different and strong antibiotics./antifungals/antiprotozoa.
Clindamycin is the med of choice for bone infections. Craow Dum had been on this med for six weeks twice daily.. I know as far as dental abscesses in the bone this would be the drug of choice but so would surgery and debridement of the area.
The hole on his head is closing up.I clean the area with chlorahexidine and suction with a syringe to get debris and snot out.
What is troubling is that his/her eyes are bulging more, snotty stuff is still inside that gap and the bone were the nose is  protruding more.
This morning, when I was cleaning around the bone bit I noticed that the bone was loose.
It will soon break off even more.
What does that mean? How far does this infection go?
I discussed the case with my vet. She thought about doing surgery to debride the offending bone but the question is how far and how deep is the bone affected? Is the entire skull involved? Surgery is really risky on so many different accounts. Other meds were suggested by folks on my pigeon chat group. Some of these meds are  potentially chemically hazardous..
I've felt I've exhausted all avenues.
I am starting to think there a fine line between "doing all you can medically" and just plain torture.
sigh......
*I took these photos of Craow Dum this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment