Monday, March 14, 2011

the wild pigeons of Salisbury beach part 20


Could spring be not far away?

I go to the beach just about everyday for my morning jog. I haven't seen the pigeons on a regular basis since Thanksgiving.

I do see "Craow Dum" huddled under his protective cove peering out at me. I'll put food down but he doesn't come down. The pigeons generally have a'point man' out to let the other pigeons know it is safe to come down and eat. A flock of little sparrows wait in the beach plum bushes for the free food. This weekend I finally saw a small flock of pigeons fluttering around in anticipation of their morning seed feed.

The "scout' was there signaling that it was OK to fly down from the telephone lines. "Craow Dum" , "Galok", "Blum Craow Dum" , "Bust-a-move" and a new one, "Hung Cow" came down to eat. "Hung Cow means" "white tail" in Thai. This pigeon is all black except for a white V shaped tail.

I do not know where they go when the weather is bad. I am guessing there are good safe spots closer to Seabrook possibly near restaurant dumpsters.

It will be interesting to see if "Snowflake" and "Brownie" show up sometime this year.
Meanwhile, I will continue to feed who ever shows up in the morning.

2 comments:

  1. It's good to hear that your feathered friends are returning. That must mean that spring is on the way.

    ReplyDelete