Tuesday, March 29, 2011

getting my "mojo" back


During the winter I had envisioned all these lofty plans and projects to do during the cold weather.

I did none of them.

Zero.

I seriously crawled through the season.

I was barely functioning.

I was sick 90% of the time, and freezer burnt.

My memory of doing things I generally like to do was slipping away.

I do not know if my brain cells were fried from the migraines, the zomig, fibromyalgia, roller coaster hormone fluctuations and or, all the above.

It was an awful feeling.

I was worried that I would not draw again.

I know sometimes my brain switches gear.

Somedays I am left handed and some days I am right handed.

As I stared at a sheet of bristol board paper with pencil in hand nothing was happening.

What the F*&^ is going on?

I talked to my neurologist about this but he didn't seemed too concerned. He suggested an antidepressant.

Huh?

Oh great, another F*&^ing drug.

I didn't take it.

I am aware that the dark days are just a migraine mirage.

I can deal with that.

What worries me is these days of blurriness.

I wanted to do some art work.

I went through my icon art study plates and Freida Kahlo prints.

I stared at them, studied them, and envisioned doing a perfect piece of artwork not from reality but from imagining.

Icon painting is done in layers of precise steps. You have to concentrate and take your time.

There is something very therapeutic about icon painting.

Just applying the many layers of gesso to prep the canvas I almost gave up.

But I didn't.

I took one tiny step at a time.

I worked in steps and in layers.

In this icon painting I used a variety of media.

I used an unfinished sheet of canvas, acyclic paint, 14K gold foil, velvet fabric, silk fabric, gold and silver trim, beads, a piece of wood, faux pearls, copper sheeting, and religious charms.

Upon completing the icon, I didn't want to stop.

As Austin Powers would say, "I'm getting my 'mojo" back".

The digital photo (above) doesn't give it justice. The colors are much more vivid in real life. (The flag has beautiful silk embroidered fish on it)

And yes, it is a Saint Atlantis Icon!


3 comments:

  1. Great job, V. I even recognize the features as being yours. Hugs from The Captain and me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! You definitely have a wonderful talent.

    ReplyDelete