Monday, March 21, 2011

gotta love that Cesar!


Last night, there was nothing on TV.
The beauty of computers is that you can pick and watch some decent TV shows off of your laptop.
My husband suggested that we watch "the Dog Whisperer" from the "National Geographic" website.
You gotta love that Cesar.
Here is a guy who really earns his money.
It always amazes me how he keeps his cool dealing with some of these people.
As I always stated it is an art to be able to deal with the public.
Not only do I like to watch the show for it's entertainment value but I try to pick up tips and insight on dealing with problem dogs (and understanding their owner's mindset)
One episode that drew in me was about a woman who had three parrots as well as her unruly dogs.
Her sulfur crested cockatoo's name was "Ca Ca".
One of her dog's name was "Dirty Bottom".
How in God's name did Cesar keep a straight face.(!)
This lady was all mush mush kissy face with a dog that growled and snapped at her whenever she tried to get this dog off of her lap.
"It's my baaaaby! I loooove him! Oooh kiss kiss kiss why are you biting me!?!? I loooove you!""
I'm sure Cesar must bang his head against the wall having to deal with these emotionally needy types who let their dogs run the household.
Somehow these people think their dog is going to fill some emotional void by spoiling them but instead they themselves create a monster. (Just think of spoiled rotten bratty kids who get everything everytime and yet, they are never happy. The parents are clueless. They spoil the kids rotten to fill some emotional void or guilt within themselves.)
It's ridiculous.
I deal with dogs that have behavior issues as well.
Most of the time the owners do not feel the behavior problem is really a problem.
*(I for one, would not put up with (daily)pooping/peeing on the floor, territory aggression issues, getting on counters, jumping on people or constant barking.)
"The Dog Whisperer" is of course focuses on issues with the dog(s) and their owners.
My husband and I were both turned in (with this particular episode) on what the parrots were doing. Both my husband and I looked at each other as we watched how the cockatoo perched himself on the woman's head and on Cesar's shoulder as well.
This bird was claiming dominance and at any time she could strike out at a very close range. A large bird like that should not be positioned close to one's face. This bird also claimed dominance by being allowed to walk on the floor. The dogs knew it and cleared a path for the bird. When a large bird claims the floor they can and will attack feet with their strong four prong beak.
I could sense that Cesar was a little uncomfortable with the cockatoo. Birds are different in so many ways than dogs as far as body language. Some birds do not like strangers or have a preference for say, females only or perhaps brunettes only.
I know my birds do.
Cesar had good reason to be a bit cautious.
This woman had her hands full with all these different animals.
I wouldn't be surprised that she would eventually need the help from a "Bird Whisperer" next!

4 comments:

  1. I didn't know about their strong four prong beak. It doesn't just have an upper and lower pointy part? Who knew? YOU, OBVIOUSLY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, cockatoos have four prongs on their beaks meant to crack open nuts.They can do some serious damage! Macaws have a three prong beak.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My macaw was totally mean to women, but sweet to men. She would always fly off her perch and try to land on my head, but I wouldn't let her... The one time she took to the floor, my dog (200lb mastiff of mush) sniffed at her then ran away, but I had a very large cat who tried to eat her...she decided to stay on her perch after that. We weren't friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Birds are not for everyone.
    They are very unique. reading body language and paying attention to it is key with birds.
    Most people don't understand it , have no patience, are clueless, ignore it, and worst of all, try to force their will on them.
    And oh yeah, they definitely let you know if they like you or NOT...

    ReplyDelete