Saturday, March 12, 2011

Say your prayers


This morning, I was starting my workout down in cell block #9.
I was grumbling about the crappy weather since I knew I had to go out and walk dogs in the cold rain today.

I flipped on Fox 25 news and to my shock, Japan had suffered a major 8.9 earthquake and a 30 foot (holy shit) tsunami.

It was horrifying.

Apparently one town on the Japanese coastline is completely submerged underwater.
The quake has affected their (five) nuclear power plants releasing some radiation.
I know this sounds awful but for some reason I found watching massive surges of water rushing over their major highways and industrialized city blocks more horrifying than other tsunami and earthquake photos I've seen in the past.

I think it is because what I saw of Japan it looked like New York, or Boston.

I live close by to a nuclear power plant. The Siren alert alarms for the power plant is only a few feet from my house. Local town residents were given iodine tablets from the town hall 'just in case" of a fallout.

You wonder what you would do in a situation like what happened in Japan.
Did the people have any kind of a warning what so ever? Or if they did, did they have the "deer in the headlights" reaction or were they in such disbelief and did nothing? Or was is it just too late to do anything at all?

Tornados have been causing serious devastation all over the southern United States.

Do those people get sufficient warning? or was it just unpredictable?

I saw a video of these two store clerks working in what looked liked a computer store. They had a security camera recording day to day activity. You could see these two workers stopping and pointing at something, and then running like their fannies were on fire. The entire store front collapsed. A tornado ripped through the building.

Holy shit.

What would you do if you had a few minutes (or seconds) to save yourself?

I would grab ALL OF my zomig, purse and ALL of my birds and run to the basement.

Would I be safe?

What about a blackout and looters?

As much as I have been bitching about the crappy weather we have had all winter it kind of put things in perspective.

At least after a shit day I come home to warm house.

I thank God for the "little things" which for people who have had serious disasters become 'big things' to be grateful for.

A warm house, clean running water, food in the refrig, a cup of tea, a hot bath, electricity, my birds, and my husband.

Shit...

Say your prayers and be thankful for what you have.

Say your prayers for the ones who were not so fortunate.

Oh my God...

2 comments:

  1. There really isn't any way to give people enough warning for something like this... How can you predict an earthquake? Horrifying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I follow the story, the situation is get worse.
    They got another 6.4 earthquake, three of the nuclear reactors are shitting the bed, and it's snowing......
    What I find is very interesting is they don't seem to be having this problem with rampant crime and looting (!)

    ReplyDelete