Friday, March 18, 2011

Moral compass


I just finished the book "All Pets go to heaven' by (pyschic) Sylvia Browne. The book pretty much re-affirmed things I knew or have read about animals and their relationship with their owners. I pretty much agree with her about departed pets having a 'spiritual presense", animal spirit guides and animal totems. You don't have to agree with me but it is something I truly believe in.
There is a new book book that just came out called the"Moral Lives of Animals" by Dale Peterson.From the excepts I've read about this book it talks about how some animals have risked their lives for fellow companions and about how animals share food and comfort with each other.
We tend to have this egocentric attitude that humans are the only ones with morals.
Yeah, right.
I think, like certain animals, some (definitely not all) humans have moral compasses, and some do not.
*(All you have to do is watch the news and see how many evil sick assholes there are in the world that do not have a conscience that randomly kill, steal and rape just for the two second thrill they get out of it.)
I recently saw a movie called "Hachi". It was about a dog who continued to wait for his owner coming home from work on the daily commuter (train) even years after the owner passed away. It was quite emotional.
I just recieved a youtube clip taken after the Japanese disaster . A fellow Massachusetts pet sitter sent it to me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3TM9GL2iLI
It shows this loyal dog refusing to leave his injured dog partner.
Loyalty, I believe, is one of God's most important virtues.
Forget about this vague expression :"unconditional love". (I really don't know what that means). Loyalty is true, concrete and strong.

2 comments:

  1. Agreed. I am also a believer in animals having spirits just like humans. Why wouldn't they?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You just have to look into their eyes to see it, don't you?

    ReplyDelete