Saturday, March 5, 2011

book report


Every once in a while I get an email from both Barnes & Noble and amazon.com on book recommendations, I assume, based on books I had bought in the past from them.
They will recommend new publications not on the bookshelves yet offering "deals" (usually half price) if you pre-order by a certain date.
I'm a avid book reader.
Non-fictions I will usually borrow from the library but reference books or books I know I will want to keep, I will order online (or buy at a local bookstore).
The last books I bought around Christmas time were :"Decision points' by George W Bush, "Love is the best Medicine" by Dr Nick Trout (an Angel Memorial hospital Veterinarian), "Birds of the West Indies" (a field guide) and "of Parrots and People" by Mira Tweti.
I get these emails with book recommendations, such as :"Winging It" (I already have this book. It's a book about a lady and her naughty parrot), the latest book on the life of Ronald Reagan, various field guides and fish identification books, and other books written by noted veterinarians.
I most recently received an email announcement of a new publication available for pre-order : "Chocolate & Vicodin: my quest for relief from the headache that wouldn't go away" by Jennette Fulda.
I thought this was odd that I would get this recommendation on something to do with headaches.(!)
My first reaction was that "oh my God! 'Big Brother' was watching me". Somebody was spying on me noticing that I shut the shades and bury myself under the covers trying to hide from the migraine pain of what seems unrelenting . How would amazon know I would be interested in a book about a girl who suffers from migraines?
And then I remembered.
I bought a cook book from amazon about five years ago called :"the Migraine Diet".
Which, by the way, this book completely sucked because 90% of the recipes either involved eggplant or salmon.
Eggplant and salmon must have some kind of anti-inflamatory properties in them but neither one of them I would eat, ever. (Eggplant taste OK but everytime I had eaten it I would projectile vomit. It acts like a poison in my system for some reason.)
I had wished back then, amazon had the feature that they have now where you can view a few pages of the book first before you decide to buy it. I ended up donating this cookbook to the book drive since it was useless to me.
Regardless, and out of curiosity, I bought that book, "Chocolate & Vicodan".
I am about half way finished with it.
It is an easy entertaining read. It's entertaining because in a cheeky sort of way I feel like I am reading my own life story with this quest to cure a never ending headache problem.
So far, like the author of this book, I am not "cured".
She goes on her "quest" without any tangible results, just a lighter wallet, relentless well meaning advice from friends and "emailers", and mostly, the frustration and depression that goes along with it.
It is comical in a way because you think you are 'the only one" who has this problem and you jump from doctor to doctor thinking and hoping, 'this will be the one". You go to "alternative medicine" not covered by your health insurance out of desperation, such as: chiropractic manipulation to accupuncture to relaxation techniques.
You then realize it is all complete bullshit.
You self medicate yourself through stuffing your face with sugary treats only to feel shitter after the sugar buzz drops.
One particular part of the book I found most amusing was from a "new age' emailer. She went on explaining the significance of halos that you see depicted on saints. She said the halos were actually migraine auras. The paintings you see of saints were all migraine sufferers.
Hmmmm.....maybe that explains everything now...

2 comments:

  1. I like the legumes, raw vegetables, and lean meat diet. I don't suffer from migraines, but I was suffering from chronic indigestion, and bloat... both gone. Maybe the lack of sugar will work for headaches too? Lentil stew makes me feel awesome... especially when I stir a little miso paste in after it's done cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I try to avoid sugar but every once in awhile I will indulge. At my last physical, my glucose level dropped by 20 points.
    I still get the nasty migraines/fibromyalge (spelling?) attacks. It sucks.

    ReplyDelete