Sunday, February 13, 2011

when budgies (and cockatiels) rule the world!


It is amazing how when you have pets that your life evolves completely around them.

Last night, my husband and I went out for our "Valentine dinner". I had to book dinner reservations for a prefered seating (I wanted an "ocean front" view) three weeks ago at a local la de da restaurant. I like to book dinner early so we are home early enough to feed, change the poop papers and play with the birds. A pal of mine makes fun of me saying that we eat 'when old people eat". We usually eat at 5:00pm sharp.

Whenever, we plan to do something all day we make sure we are home on the birds regularly scheduled "feed, change papers and play with" schedule. The birds get nervous and agitated when their schedule gets interrupted.

Whenever I take a vacation somewhere warm the first thing I do is contact my pet sitter to make sure she is available first before I book a trip. I'll have her come over twice a day to keep to somewhat of their regular routine.

I had been sick and exhausted all of this month, so I took saturday as a "veg out" day. I took little Eddie upstairs with me for a nap. She loves this "one on one" attention even though I am napping. She will perch herself on the pillows next to my head and take a snooze herself. She will even hold in her poop in during this time as to not to soil the pillow. After I emerge from my much needed slumber, I will place her on a kleenex so she can 'go". She is my most spoiled but favorite bird.

While I was napping, my husband was busy in the office room assembling a new computer printer. He came into the bedroom with smile showing me four thick card board rollers used as packing material in the printer box proclaiming, "hey look at this! We can use these as bird chew toys!"

I thought to myself they would make good bird toys! I find myself replacing and refurbushing bird toys every two weeks. If they destroy a toy then I know it's a well loved toy. They love toys made of straws, shoe laces, chinese finger pulls and paper products that can be chew up.

Last weekend, I had bought this beautiful unique owl basket at an antique store. I thought it would be perfect to store magazines and catalogs in by the living room.

The birds were terrified of it.

They were screaming, flapping and refusing to go in the living room. I had to put the owl basket upstairs away from view. Brats!

I've learned that I need to use neutral colors on my nails whenever I treat myself to a pedicure/manicure. My birds will not go near me when I choose (my favorite color) royal blue.

I am stuck with pearl, pale pink or gold. I think they would be OK with lime green since they prefer the lime green food cup dishes but that is kind of a gross "boogery" color for fingernails.

My mother bought me this white lace tablecloth for my dining room table which of course is the kind that needs to be ironed. I kind of looked at her thinking to myself, 'right.."
I have to change the tablecloths on the dining room table daily because the birds make such a mess on it. I generally use inexpensive polyester print ones since they are durable and easy to wash and dry on a daily basis.

One of my dive buddies said I was the 'crazy bird lady'.

Well, I think he is right.
*PS: the photo above is Twillinger (green budgie) sitting on the ceiling fan!

3 comments:

  1. How about shoe crazy diving bird lady... it's a mouthful, but manageable. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's a beautiful color for your nails, V. I think they would certainly stand out. Maybe the manicurist could do the same tone on tone that his feathers do from yellowish green to greenish yellow. It could start a new fashion trend :^)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha ha! I think you may be right, Chris!

    And Foxy, maybe I will try the boogery green color nail polish after all as well. :-P

    ReplyDelete