Friday, February 4, 2011

chionophobia


Chionophobia -means the "irrational and morbid fear of snow".

Hmm..I never could understand what claustophobic meant but I'm am starting to feel "chionophobic". I'm afraid to plan anything thinking that I'll have to drive in slick -scary -zero-visability roads.

Of course, the news on TV doesn't help with my growing paranoia.

Now, there is a serious problem of roofs collapsing due to the weight of the accumulating snow. Neighboring schools have closed because of partial roof collapses.

I watched these two guys that were hired by an elderly lady to shovel the snow off her roof. I heard them laughing because they could not believe how much snow was on her roof. They were up to their waists in snow. Even if they fell off the roof I don't think they would get hurt because the snow drifts were only about a foot from the roof line.

My roof is slanted so most of snow has not accumulated much, except for, my garage.

I tried to shovel some of it off but the roof is two stories high. I was hanging out of the attic window deperately trying to push it off. Most of the snow that has accumulated on the garage is mostly due to a big ass snow drifts blowing from the east. I could not reach and push the ice off because my arms are too short. I think I caused more damage by now creating ledges which can form ice dams. Oh shit.

Forget about trying to purchase one of those 'roof rakes' with telescopic handles. The guys at the hardware stores laugh at you because there are none to be had.

I wait, and pray, the next storm will be a dud.

Thankfully, we did not lose electricity from that last Monster Storm like some people in the southshore did.
What a nightmare.

Don't you just want to kick those people who wear those hideous ( serious fashion violation) sweatshirts that have a dorky grinning snowman that says "let it snow!" ?

1 comment:

  1. Something about living in Arizona that makes you forget what it was like to live in New England in the winter...then again, I haven't been in the ocean in over a year. Everything is a trade off.

    ReplyDelete