Thursday, February 24, 2011

parkinson's disease


As we age, our parents age.

My father in particular, has been having a lot of health issues over the past six years.

As we are all so well aware of our "drive by health care system" many ailments, diseases etc.. go by undiagnosed until there is a major health crisis.

Just to get an appointment or even talk to a doctor is like running through a F*&^ing maze. For a normal relatively healthy mentally cognitive person to finally get an appointment through the tunnel of : "press 1 in English" "press 2..." etc.. it takes close to ten minutes to get the desired results. I can not image what the elderly, in particular, must go through when they are sick, incapitated, hard of hearing and confused easily having to deal with this stupid shit.

I don't mind growing old but what I do mind is how the elderly are not treated with respect, patience and dignity. You really have to be proactive to get results.

Finally, after years of being shuffled around and I feel, ignored, my father finally got the testing he needed to explain his declining health issues.

He has parkinson's disease.

In some way, I actually felt relieved by this diagnosis. It finally put a label of why he has been confused, why he has tremors and has general leg weakness.

I told him that this was a "good" thing. We now have at least a direction to take to give him the proper care. I joked with him telling him he is "now like my boyfriend Michael J Fox".

A few years ago, I read Michael J Fox's book, "Lucky man". I had a customer diagnosed with this same disease at a young age. I wanted to have some insight and knowledge of this disease since I only thought "old people" acquired it.

I think cutting back on my client load was probably good timing. My mother will need more help and now, I'll be a little bit more available if she needs me.

One day at at time.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, V. I'm so sorry to hear about your father. It's a terrible disease, but you already know that. I hope he has a doctor who will stick with him and help the family cope. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry about your dad. What a sucky disease. My grandfather had it. Big hugs to you. I don't even know what else to say.

    ReplyDelete