Monday, June 3, 2013

dive #894 June 2 2013

Summah is heeeeyyaaaH!
Saturday at 10:00 am reached 97F. I bought my yearly beach pass and migrated onto the beach. It was so freakin' hot that I couldn't stand it. I stood at the water's edge and my ankles were numb from the cold.
Regardless, I took a deep breath and "Hampton beached" it.( I made a running start and ran in).
It was ridiculously cold.
"Crabs and ice water' cold.
At least this way I knew what to expect the next day when I went diving.
You are probably thinking, "gee, if the water is that cold why don't you wear your dry suit?" I packed it and re-packed my wet suit instead figuring I'd rather be cold rather than pass out on the deck of the boat from heat stroke.
I was in such a good mood on sunday.
My head was clear.
June is my favorite month.
I was going diving.
I was seeing my dive pals.
Life is good.
Fred and Chris were running the show along with Pete and Larient's assistance . I was glad to see Lareint onboard. He had issues with his ears last season. Apparently he was A-OK to dive again. Hooray!
 Also onboard, Jackie K & Andy were diving, and Bill L was out enjoying the boat ride.
We anchored at Folly Cove. The place was chock-o-block full of divers. I like this spot-especially for my first dive of the season. I was trying out my husband's regulator that I had piece mealed together plus his BCD with a new inflator hose. The regulator leaked a bit at the first stage/yoke area. Pete tightened something up that seemed to have done the trick.
I puttered around for a bit but my hands got wicked cold. My temp guage read 48F under the boat and 50F closer to the rocks.Everyone claimed they saw skates and sculpins. All I saw was a moon snail. The viz was about 25 feet. Even though I was cold I was glad to be in the water.
All in all we had a super day.

2 comments:

  1. Good for you, V. It was a super day, wasn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you are all out and in the water again! Winter was a long one, and good riddance. Hope you are feeling well!! Big hug!

    ReplyDelete