Thursday, June 13, 2013

Teddy

Sometime before Christmas I got an email from a small bird rescue up north looking to place a baby ring neck dove. I thought about it but declined.
Teddy the ring neck dove was still advertised in my bird club newsletter looking for a home nine months later
.Nobody wanted to adopt Teddy.
 It's not that I had extra room or anything to house "another bird' . However, through my husband's curiosity he wanted to just "take a look at Teddy".
We called the lady who ran the little rescue way up northern New Hampshire to see  if we could  "just see" Teddy.
My husband urged me to use my vehicle since it is larger to transport cages. I wasn't keen driving that distance since I tire easily and my eye-sight is not that good for highway driving. Plus, I thought we were ONLY going to just "look" at teddy. That's all.
Well as you can see from the above photos, Teddy came home with us
He is a light brown "proved male" ring neck dove. They originate from Africa. He is a proved male since he mated with another dove and had babies. Teddy was "eager' to mate again to the point he was attacking the female and the babies. Teddy needed a new home ASAP.
Teddy is very vocal. He spends most of his time doing this mating dance and vocalizing. No, he doesn't just "gently "coo". He appears to say, "whoops! There  he is..whoops! there he is..." He also laughs raucously. He reminds me of the bare-eye doves in Bonaire.
He eats dove seed, Harrison's pellets and fruit and broccoli!
I have this Mexican brown dove napkin holder on the table.Teddy has taken a fancy to it and will attack any of the birds if they get near it. Oh my God. Teddy is a handful!
 I keep Craow Dum away from him-especially since Craow Dum is hand-capped.
I took Teddy to the vet for a wellness check-like I do routinely for all my birds. Teddy checked out A-OK.
I put some toys in his cage to keep him busy. He likes woven chain toys and bobo dolls that he can bop with his beak.He also 'steps up" on your hand which is unusual for a dove.
He's a pretty bird, for sure. I think since I know what to expect now from Teddy he will do fine in my crazy bird house. He is getting used to the daily routine and is doing fine.

1 comment:

  1. He is certainly a pretty boy, V. I hope he settles down and plays nice with the others.

    ReplyDelete