Tuesday, June 4, 2013

pet parrots

Every once in a while I get  phone calls from strangers that range from : "I found this turtle..."  "do you adopt out....?"   "I have three large dogs that are a little hard to handle.." etc... etc...
The other day I got a call from a lady who had this poor abused emotionally demented cockatoo. She was looking for a home that could 'work with the bird" to hopefully help him. 
Big birds like cockatoos need someone with the experience and patience to understand their needs. This is a huge challenge. Think of a obnoxious three year old with emotional problems-only with a very sharp 4 prong beak and the voice like a siren.
Funny thing is dive buddy Chris pointed out an article in the Gloucester newspaper about the plight of an abused cockatoo to me. This was the very same bird! (see below article)


The lady who called me was very nice and she had experience with larger big birds with "big personalities". Cockatoos in particular have big personalities and are very needy. This poor bird in question had emotional problems from horrible abuses from previous "owners". This on top of "just being a cockatoo".
 It was a bit too much for this "foster parrot mum" to handle, but she cared enough for the bird's welfare to reach out and seek help.
Sadly, I do not have the experience or the housing for this type of bird. I did offer some suggestions to perhaps somebody that would or could help.
I asked her where she got my number and she told me a vet's office because " (I) had experiences rehabbing small parrots" (cockatiels) (Ahhhhh..the word got out! (wink!))
Yes, I have cockatiels that were neglected and some have behavioral issues. I spend alot of time with my birds establishing routines and boundaries. I've learned to understand their behaviors and needs.
I am hoping things turn out well for that poor cockatoo. The sad thing about birds is they don't get the headlines and sympathy or protection laws like dogs and cats. Usually abuses are not reported or anything done about it, and for the most part they usually do not survive.
Yup, some bite, poop on my head, destroy books and make a racket when I'm on the phone. My close friends understand when I tell them, "I gotta get home for my birds".
It's not an "excuse" to leave. I really do have to leave and get home to my birds!
.My birds have their routines and they get agitated when I am not home for them.It's stressful for them when I am gone for extended periods of time during the day.
They are neurotic but then again....
How does that go?
You are like the pets you pick. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment