Tuesday, August 7, 2012

turtle rampage

This week I am taking care of a turtle.
In the past when I was on call for the turtle, I'd checked on him and fed him every other day.
 Lately, the owners were concerned about "Scooter' because he has been trying to climb out of his enclosure ending up on his back.They requested that I check on him every day to make sure he was not on his back.
After diving on sunday, I made a stop-over to check on Scooter. I knew once I got home, especially after eating a nice meal, I would be in no condition to get back in my car to drive anywhere. I'd be in a bucket after a long day of diving and being in the sun. Anyways, I had the house key with me to stop over to feed "Scooter".
The turtle was in the corner of his large faux tropical housing. He peered out of his shell to see me with this look of determination. He then galloped down his ramp stampeding after me!
YES, the turtle took off after me like a son-of-a-gun!
Seriously, it was hilarious!
He jumped in his little "pond" and pooped in it standing up on his hind legs. I cleaned out his pond and got his dinner of lettuce leaves and peaches ready for him.I do not know what has gotten in to him. He seemed like he was trying to jump out of his tank.He was marching around the rim of his tank on his hind legs.
My guess is that he might be at his "mating age" and he is acting like a fidgety teenager.
Well, I got to go and take a ride over to his owner's house to check on "Scoot's" now.

3 comments:

  1. unbelievable! was telling Joe your story over coffee this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Turtles are funny.
    I remember watching giant tortoises at the zoo in Washington DC mating. The female could care less munching away on a head of lettuce while the male was doing "his thing" climbing on her back with the same determined expression as the turtle in above photo.

    ReplyDelete