Tuesday, July 17, 2012

the wild pigeons of Salisbury beach part 78

Pigeons are funny. They are also particular.
As I dumped out their morning seeds I noticed that they stayed away from the pile. I thought this was odd and realized I had put old bread in the mix as well thinking they would like it.
 I picked the bread out and tossed it in a different area. The pigeons then went for the bread-less pile of seeds.
My conclusion is that they were nervous about the seagulls since the seagulls go for the bread. The gulls are kind of nasty and will attack the pigeons. The gulls will especially go for their nesting babies as food. They are big and aggressive so it is no wonder the pigeons stay clear from them.
When I took my bike to beach in the afternoon I watched the pigeons. It's a different group and these ones aren't afraid of discarded bread. Matter of fact I watched a few take a discarded pizza crust and toss it in the air a few times before pecking at in between the throws.
I saw "Homer" with the afternoon pigeons too
.I'm not sure if "Homer" knows or understand the  pigeon's version of "changing of the guard". "Homer" is the homing pigeon with the longer beak and nares. You can identify him by his yellow leg band. I saw him yesterday munching on spilled rice crispie cereal in the sand.
I noticed one pigeon with his foot completely ensnared in what looked like clump of yarn and debris. And yet another one with bits of fishing line and seaweed debris tightly wound around his leg..
The odd thing about pigeons is that that are almost invisible to people.They walk in and around people like little ghosts. It is only the little kids that notice them, chase and try to catch them. Once in a while you'll see a youngster purposely drop their french fries as an offering to the pigeons.
Meanwhile, my pigeon, Craow Dum's condition seems to be the same. He still has to have his nose cleaned at least twice a day. His appetite is still good and he likes his "routines". He will walk into the bathroom when my husband is using it if the door is left ajar. He will look up at him, drop a "nugget" as if to say, "OK your turn!" and walk out of the room shaking his tail.
He has also learned to turn the TV on. He will jump on the couch and peck at the remote. He will wait and look for me to come in the TV room. He will then snuggle up to me giving me a little "hip check" to make sure I'm not hogging the couch.
Sometimes I find him the dirty laundry basket.
He is a funny little guy.

1 comment: