Monday, July 23, 2012

dive # 869 July 22 2012

Friday, I got a notice from the American Drug testing Corsortium for a random drug test.
 In other words, I had to go to Quest diagnostics to "pee in a cup" within 7 days of the notice. This is one of those federal regulation requirements to make sure that I am "drug free"  if  I am to continue to help crew a dive vessel.
 I don't have any problems with stuff like this to ensure public safety. I am from a law enforcement family so I play by the rules.
You hear of so many cases, such as the most recent incident at Exeter hospital with someone working there who was a drug addict. He stole some injectable pain killer drug and put the dirty needles back in the box therefore infecting unknowing patients with hepatitis C. My question is: wasn't this guy screened with a drug test?
Anyways, I did my "duty" for hopefully, another year of assisting on the dive boat.

Dive #869 July 22 2012
Folly Cove
Wind was blowing from SW which means it's going to get hot.
It was a perfect day all around. We had Fred, Chris, Pat, Pete, Lareint, Leni with his "new student" daughter and a lady from the Froggies. Water was a warm (for New England) at 62F. The viz was almost 30 feet.
I really like diving at  Folly because I don't get lost.(Well, at least for the most part)
 I kept to the rocks because first all that is where all the sea life is and there were heaps of boats coming in and out of the cove. There were plenty of cunners swimming around doing their business. A nosy flounder by the anchor investigating to see if I had any food. There was one lobster who came out from under the rocks holding a crab shell in his claw like a beggar beseeching me for "alms for the poor".
Chris was in the shallows with "Zaza" teaching her scuba stuff. She waved me over. Zaza's yellow force fin slipped off some how and had lost it. I was now on a mission for search and retrieval. I knew it couldn't be far from them but there was lots of yellow kelp undulating back and forth so it could easily be concealed.
After swimming back in forth in a grid for about 15 minutes or so, I found it wedged between two rocks.
I know what it would be like to lose a pair of favorite fins . I would've been heart broken! So I did my best to find it, and I did. Hooray!
So far, this summer has been great. I can tell already because I have a wet bathing suit bum rash. This means I've spent a lot of time in the water!
Happiness is a red bum. HA HA!

3 comments:

  1. Good for you, V! Sounds like you had a blast, and that you're feeling better. Folly Cove was always one of my favorite dives too. For the very reason you mention. I hate being in open water with boats around. The rocks provide the perfect sanctuary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You certainly helped us yesterday, V. I learned that a new pair of Tan Delta's costs over $450.00 Sheesh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG!!!!!!Can you imagine paying that much for a pair of fins?!?!
    I was shell shocked (last year)when I found out what it cost just to buy replacement straps for my force fins.
    I bought them anyways because I love my fins!

    ReplyDelete