Monday, July 2, 2012

visitors in the night

After a day of diving I am ready for "a bucket"-especially after I've eaten a decent meal.
The heat has really gotten to me since we are still without central air. (I know I sound spoiled but seriously, once you get used to central air it is hard to be without it. It's like getting used to central heat)
I had the small box AC unit in the window chugging away to at least suck some of the humidity out of the air in the bedroom. The whole house smells like a wet dog.
At around 3:00am I was awoken by the sound of our smoke detectors going off.
The first thing I did was shut the AC off and feel the walls. The walls felt cool and I couldn't smell anything smokey or burning. The first thing I thought of was that the box AC was overheating, but that wasn't the case. I went downstairs to check on the birds and if I could smell anything. Everything seemed OK. I checked in the attic and basement as well.
I went back to bed with just the fan blowing instead.
Again, the alarms went off.
What is going on?
We did another check and everything seemed OK. I even looked in the back yard just in case some kids decided to build a camp fire for fun.
Twenty minutes later, the alarms went off  AGAIN but this time they did not shut off.
I wasn't going to fool around so I called 911.
The fire engine came and the firemen gave the house a check with their detectors, and such.
As the fire men were checking the basement, attic and kitchen, Craow Dum the pigeon was getting restless with all this commotion and was "bustin' a move". The firemen looked at each other wonder what the heck was this "BRRRZZZ BRRRRZZZZ CCCOoooooo COOOOOooo" sound was coming from under a covered enclosure . They were cracking up.
The mystery of why the smoke alarm went off was still a mystery.
It is possible they are faulty (hard wired) smoke alarms or that they were simply clogged with dust and moisture.
 I vacuumed them out this morning so hopefully this will do the trick.
It's a scary sound to be awoken to in the middle of the night.
Yikes!

1 comment:

  1. At least they didn't have to travel too far to get to you :^)

    ReplyDelete