Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Bird talk announcement

Bird talk magazine is about the only magazine out there for pet bird owners informing readers on how to take care of their birds.
 I have been a subscriber since the year 2000. The avicultural  society has a magazine as a benefit of their membership that comes out about 6 times a years. It's interesting but it gears more towards scientific research rather than towards everyday practical use for ordinary hobbyists.
Over the years I noticed the Bird talk magazine had gotten thinner and thinner. Not only that, an shorten article would direct you to "go on to www.birdchannel.com to get more information".
Huh?
Talking about killing your magazine subscribers by directing them to a "free" website to get more in depth information. It really pissed me off because having to go on my computer is kind of a pain.
And that is what happened.
After 30 years of publication, Bowtie press publishing Bird talk shut down their magazine.
It sucks because I had just renewed my subscription for 2 more years!
I called the subscriber services and at first they told me they were "unaware that the magazine was ending". The next day, Bird Talk made their official announcement, that they were putting their energy towards the website and ending publication.
(* I called subscriber services again and they said they would refund me)
I guess I am one of the minority that actually reads paper bound books and magazines!
 I am not "plugged into" Ipods, Ipads, Iphones, notebooks, laptops or any other electronic device 24/7.
Yes, I am sitting here typing on my, what most people would consider an old fashion out-dated computer, but I can't stand to sit here all day reading and looking at stuff on it.
I am sad Bird Talk is gone.
Despite it's dwindling size I still enjoyed the magazine. I still liked the articles, the editorials, the photos and even the ads.
I am guessing that not many keep birds either now.

No comments:

Post a Comment