Thursday, July 26, 2012

a dot in the universe

After reading foxindetox's "trainwreck' blog I couldn't help  but contemplate on how and why we all are placed on this universe.
There are the "haves" and the "have nots" and assorted ones in the middle, like myself.
The significant and not so significant.
The people who have unseemly backgrounds that lead disgusting lives and yet, they are somewhat rewarded with fame, fortune and admiration.(Charlie Sheen for example, gag)
There are people who lead clean quiet lives who pay their bills on time, volunteer for causes,care for sick relatives, feed a stray cat and yet, disappear into oblivion.
There are some people who have been abused and neglected and somewhat become successful despite the odds, or NOT (as I am guessing in Fox's observation of a messed up couple).
How and why.
The area I walk Mattie the Jack Russell is what some snobs would call "a trailer park". It is a nice little tight knit community of working class folks. The homes look like cute little ranches with for the most part, nicely groomed small plots of land. There are lots of trees and grass in which the residents take pride in upkeep.
 I've gotten to know many of the folks in the community just walking Mattie around. There are retirees, single folks who work at Walmart, others who work at the grocery store, an auto detailer, some of them  are employed by the power plant and a few on disability. They are just your typical regular folks getting by in a service oriented community.
The other day I noticed that one of the mobile homes was getting torn down. There was an elderly gentleman that lived there. He looked exactly like Jasper Beardly from the Simpson cartoon. The last time I had seen him was about a month ago.He could barely see over the dashboard of his car but I always waved to him whenever he puttered on by.
I asked one of the neighbors what was going on. She responded that one of the neighbors hadn't seen him in two weeks and went to check on him.
He had passed away.
I was bothered watching his little home with it's many bird feeders hanging off the roof line scrubbed off the face of the earth as if this poor old guy did not exist.
I actually felt sick.
Who was this guy?
Does it matter?
Yeah, I think so.
I do not know what else to say but it just seemed unfair.

3 comments:

  1. You raise a troubling issue, V. I've not thought about how true it is until now. Thanks for posting.

    On another note, see if you agree with this video's premise. It involves Gloucester.

    http://vimeo.com/46196885

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aha! yes, I do agree with you Chris.
      Lovely Gloucester :-)

      Delete
  2. I hope the guy in the trailer isn't the one that wanted you to come in and visit?

    ReplyDelete