Saturday, July 16, 2011

sweet tooth ants



A week ago, I noticed this parade of little ants marching around my front door and also near the coffee maker.



I thought to myself, "what the ___!?!"



My first thought was that the ants were drawn in to the sweet coffee residue and perhaps a few scone crumbs. Before I knew it I found ants everywhere-especially around and in the dishwashwer.



I emptied out the cabinets and wiped everything clean with a bleach laden solution. I threw out open boxes of food. I pulled both the dishwasher and stove out. I cleaned around and under it of bits of whatever. I sprayed inside the dishwasher with a bleach solution and cleaned any scrotty residue that might attract the ants. I washed the floors, counters and walls, plus I put down those ant trap cups.



I washed and wiped all pots and pans in the cabinets AND the shelves that could possibly still have any food or grease residue still on them.



I figured,"whew! I beat the ants!"



The next day, the ant trail was more relentless.



I saw where they were coming from so I sealed up the little cracks with caulking. I used boric acid powder around those areas as well. I have to be super careful where I lay the ant cups down and where I pepper the corners with boric acid since I have pet birds.



I vacumed thoroughly every single little corner of any miscroscopic debris. The bird room is spotless. I vacume this room no less than four times a day of any pellets, seeds and feather dust.



"Aha! I thought, "That will do it!"



Again, they were back again but this time heading for the closet.



"What could possibly attract the ants in the closet"?



There was a million of them inside my hand-bag.



"Oh my God!" I dumped out the contents to find to my horror they were after a peppermint.



I chucked out all of my peppermints, washed the bag inside and out plus the floor of the closet.



It was so gross.



Again they were back. Those ant cups are useless.



I have to find their nest.



I looked around the base of the house but I couldn't find any tell tale signs.



Until.



I pulled the lattice work off from the front stairs entrance and crawled under the front steps. I found three giant ant mounds. (I also found two maple trees growing under there pushing their way upwards) I dumped half a bottle of the boric acid all over the nests.



We shall see what happens tomorrow.

5 comments:

  1. I was thinking of starting a ant farm but now you altered my plans; how can start I an ant farm when you have obliterated Joe, Helen, George, Larry, Moe and Curly; forget Shemp. If I could get about a hundred thousand or so I could dip them into choclate and sell them to the French, they have truly wierd taste. Chocolate covered grasshoppers, I will pass. Now what about the French and showers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok Bill, slowly step away from the bong....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha ha! Good one. I had "ghost" ants in my condo when I first moved there. I put down this clear gel called Optiguard. I only had to do it once and they were gone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Optiguard? I assume it's ant traps?! If so, I'll try it because the little shits are back like nothing happened.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh-o-o-o. That picture freaked me out. Ants on the donut. That'll keep you from snacking on it, for sure.

    ReplyDelete