Saturday, July 23, 2011

the Wild Pigeons of Salisbury beach part 26



Well, there is not much to report except for that there is a whole new crowd this year.



I am guessing the average life-span of a wild pigeon is just three years.



There are some in the mix that looks like the old gang but the coloring is different and I know they are young by looking at their feet. It took a while for these pigeons to get used to me. They all know the morning feeding routine now.



And of course, there are the same assholes are out there that try to deliberately run them over. I'll walk real slow where the cars (by the way, illegally) turn on the road where the pigeons are. They have to stop and at this time the pigeons have time to scatter.

For the most part, the pigeons are invisible to the people who go the beach. I see them perched under the seaglass building.

Nobody seems to care.

The pigeons usually hide behind the spiked Cristy's pizza sign as well. They enjoy any left-over pizza that hits the side-walk.



This time of year the swallows return to feast on the green-head flies.



Yes, it is green-head season. Those nasty F*&^ers bite hard!



Over by Ipswich by Jeffrey's neck, it looks like it is pelting rain except -for it is horrendously hot, humid and sunny out.

It's actually the green-heads hitting the windshield.

That is how bad they are.



I just picked up a 20lb bag of seed for the pigeons at Ace hardware. The pigeons don't like the kmart brand. I think it is because it consists mostly of large red millet. They like the little golden millet that the ACE brand carries. The price of bird food has sky rocketed since last year. I used to buy a 50lb bag of black oil sunflower seed to feed the goldfinches for about $20.00 at Dodge's grain. The cashier at Dodge's told me the price of grain all over has sky rocketed out of control. It is now $36.00 for the same bag.



A 20lb bag of "pigeon food" I could buy on sale for $3.50 a bag is now $9.00 a bag.



Will I continue to feed the birds despite these inflated prices for seed?



Yes, of course.

1 comment:

  1. You have a giant heart. I feed humming birds. I laugh because the "Special Hummingbird Nectar" they sell in the store is $9 for an 8oz cardboard can. A 5lb bag of sugar is $1.99 for the store brand. It's the same thing... most people don't know that. When ever I see someone pick up a can of that stuff, I feel compelled to point out the ingredients, then show them the ingredients on my bag of sugar. They always make that same face... D'oh! I'll admit, I do it for the laugh.

    ReplyDelete