Monday, July 18, 2011

dive #832 July 17 2011



Dive # 832 July 17 2011



Folly Cove



It was horrendously hot and sunny today as predicted. It was a good day to go diving. I was grateful that Fred and Chris picked Folly cove as our dive site. It's a nice and easy shallow wall dive with good things to see.



I am assuming some divers do not care to go to this spot since it is a popular shore dive spot.

Let me tell you, it is one pain-in-the-ass spot to shore dive. There are no 'legal" places to park there so you have to drop your gear off, dive a mile up the street to park, walk back and then climb over slippery rocks to get in the water.

No thanks.

I was a happy camper we got to dive this spot via boat.



We had Bill L, Diane K and Joe F on board. Nice group of mates.



My force fin strap snapped off. I guess I can't really complain since the straps had held up for a good 18 (?)years now. I borrowed a pair of Chris's for the dive and Pete now had a "project". Pete jerri-rigged some ties to hold onto the straps for the time being until I got new replacement straps and buttons.



I wore my NZ wet-suit for this dive. I got a temp reading of about 57F at about 15 feet. Bill L got a temp reading at 51F at a deeper depth. I stayed in for a good 45 minutes until my hands were frosted. I saw a huge striper that was at least 4 foot long. I saw some moon-snails, a few skates, good sized lobsters, small bait fish, and a few nosey flounders.



I spotted Bill L with Fred's camera. The viz wasn't great so it was easy to lose sight of your buddy. Bill L had a wrist slate which was handy in order to communicate UW. Fred had made it back to the boat so I brought the camera back since I was heading that way myself so Bill L could continue on with his dive. One dive was enough for me for the day.



I was in a "bucket' soon after I got home to rinse off my gear, take care of my birds and had dinner. A migraine monsoon was moving in. What a F*&^%ing pain.



I think it was the oppressive heat that did me in.



Regardless, I had a good day and went to bed happy.


*photo above is a striper

2 comments:

  1. You were lucky to see such a big striper. I think they must sense a fellow spirit.

    ReplyDelete