Monday, July 4, 2011

dive # 830 July 3rd 2011



Dive #830 July 3rd 2011



This was my first dive of this New England season.



I usually start in May but I had a late start this year. I've been apprehensive about going out to dive because of these odd mystery health issues. I never know when they are going to hit and I do not want to be a risk to my dive buddies. It felt like when you fall off a motorcycle. The first thing you need to do is to get back on the bike to get back in the swing of things. It's an unnerving feeling but I wanted to go diving. I have to go diving.



I actually do not think it was so much that I was afraid to go diving but more like this weird fear of having to leave my house. I get a little panicky traveling now.



Yes, this is something new with me.



I get no sick days from work. I had to go out, no matter what, to take care of animals in the worst weather on the planet even when I was sick. And I was really sick alot this winter. I would keep a bucket in my car just to puke.



And I still keep getting sick without warning. So I'm a bit nervous having to go anywhere.



I am hoping this is just a phase with me.



Anyways, I did go diving today and it turned out to be A-OK.



Fred, Chris, Pat and Pete were front and center.



Bill L, Bob C (from Salisbury) and his pal, Lars were aboard. We had a good group of people aboard and went to the very easy going dive sight, Folly Cove.



The water was calm and the weather was comfortable. I used my dry suit. Fred stayed right under boat and filmed as what I observed"the dance of the flounders". I stayed under the boat as well and watched him film.



It was the oddest thing. He stayed put, fanned out a divit in the sand and set his camera right in the sand. At first, there was a four curious flounders that ventured over to the hollowed out part of the sand. Fred fanned out more sand. I thought the flounders would scatter but instead more flounders inched on to the hollowed out spot. More flounders appeared. I counted twelve flounders checking out the bellowed sand. After about 20 minutes or so, I noticed what appeared to be this parade of flounders right behind Fred lining up to join in on the fun. I saw the flounders mouths move so I do not know if they eating bits of food moved by the fanning of the sand or if they were singing. At any rate, it was interesting, and for me, it was a good way to get myself back into being comfortable in the water.



The seals on my dry suit were starting to look a bit brittle. That is what happens with rubber after awhile it just corrodes. I went in the water anyways putting the suit on very gingerly not to tear the seals. I did get a little cold after 25 minutes. My 'fuzzy suit" under my dry suit was wet. My neck seal was leaking. Pete said the water temp was in the 50s so it is no wonder I was cold and I wasn't used to it. Pat needed repairs on her dry suit as well so she was kind enought to take my suit as well to get repaired.


It was a good day and it was so nice to be amongst friends.

1 comment: