Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Welcome to the Troll Cathedral part 1








OK be afraid..be very afraid!

OK, other than my massive shoe collection there is something else that I have been collecting for years.

And I do mean for years.

It is not something I've done consciously.

It just sort of happened after years of having many birthday celebrations and also recieving various Christmas gifts.

It all started when I was just six years old.

My first troll doll.

During the 1960s, they were called "wishniks".

I still have my original first troll doll.

His name is "Peter".

There is no reason for why he is named Peter. I just happened to like the name. Perhap it was after saint Peter since at the time I was getting ready for my first holy communion but who knows.

*the first troll featured in the above photos is "Peter".

My long time girl-friend would give me a wishnik on just about every birthday.

It became a tradition.

I still remember as a six year old asking her why she didn't like barbies.

Being the pragmatist that she was (and still is) she simply said, "Hrmfph... nobody looks like a barbie. But EVERYONE looks like THIS!" As she thrust the wishnik in my face.

She was right.

Most people did look like trolls.

Even naked!.

The only person that was close to looking like a barbie was my mother but she was the exception.

Over the years I amassed quite a collection.

Strangely enough, after checking out various troll collections featured on "youtube.com", my collection is rather small.

For example, check this out:


(*this features the "troll museum" by Reverend Jen (the patron saint of the uncool))


(*this features a massive troll collection. The scary part is that the sound track is "go ask Alice")


I actually had double the amount of trolls than I do right now. I had lost a huge box filled with them when I was moving out of my apartment in Maynard. I think this box accidentally got mixed up with boxes destined for "goodwill". (I also lost a box of fav British clothing in the mix up too.) But the tradition of recieving trolls as gifts still continued and the collection grew once again. Not only did my girl-friend give me trolls, but my fahter, brother, and even my present husband.

Over the years, the trolls have evolved not only by their "looks" but what they were called and made from different manufacturers.


* I will go into the "history" in the next posting.

2 comments:

  1. You collect trolls? There's a shocker! :o)
    Just kidding... I think it's funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it is true.
    I know it IS scary AND sad.
    My cousin found one in the sand near an abandon building in Plum Island a few years ago. She felt it was a "sign" from God that I belong by the coastline.

    ReplyDelete