Saturday, April 16, 2011

"Rio"


Oh yeah.
I simply had to see the movie "Rio" (in 3-D) as soon as it came to the theaters.
It was the long awaited animated movie about parrots.
It was worth the wait.
The best way to describe it is that it is "a kaleidoscope of color and cuteness".
What I find puzzling that the producers advertise, as if this is a selling point, "from the creators of "Ice Age."
"Ice Age" completely SUCKed.
"Ice Age" was boring and reeeeeeally annoying. Halfway through watching "Ice Age" I said, "OK, I'm done" and shut it off.
"Rio", in contrast, is a FUN movie.
The main character is a parrot named "Blu".
He is a Spix's macaw (Cyanopsitta spixii) which is an extinct "little blue macaw". The characters in the movie kept calling him a 'blue macaw" which for me, make me think of a "Hyacinth macaw" (Anodorhynchus hyacinthinus) which is a larger parrot listed as (just)endangered. Both are originally from the jungles of Brazil.
Sooooo, which is he? A Spix or a Hyacinth?
"Blu's" favorite snack when he lived in captivity was chocolate chip cookies and hot cocoa.
Chocolate is deadly for parrots.
I just hope little kids watching this movie don't start to give their parakeets chocolate chip cookies.
I can't help but notice things like this.
The villain of the story is a bare-eyed cockatoo (Cacatua sanguinea) named "Nigel". This species of cockatoo is from Australia, not Brazil.
Yes, I know, I know, it is only a cartoon.
And yes, I know bull dogs don't talk either. ):-P
Despite of these incongruous details I found this movie completely entertaining and adorable.
This is one of those "must-see" animation films.
Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I gave a budgie a piece of a chocolate chip cookie once... my actions had unfortunate consequences. I didn't know.

    ReplyDelete