Saturday, April 23, 2011

Hahn's macaw


Ah finally my phone camera "sent" me the photo I took of the little Hahn's macaw to my email address. I am so technologically retarded that it is not funny. At least my cousin sent up my email address to I could send pictures to myself.
Here is the little Hahn's macaw that is up for adoption at my vet's office. (above)
If I didn't already have a house full of needy attention seeking birds I would've taken this little guy home and worked with him.
As you can see he is a feather picker. His feather picking problem is the result of mostly behavorial and diet. He was checked out medically as OK. The vet said he has come a long way but needs "one on one' attention.
My cockatiel "Button" is also a feather picker. She started doing it after her first molt at six months. Lutino cockatiels are a bit more immuno-compromised. She tends to have problems with yeast infections as well. She feather picks mostly, now, out of habit because her feather shafts are irritating as the pins emerge. She is on a good diet, she gets TONS of attention and has regular baths. It is very frustrating. I've been to numerous vets to help solve this problem but nothing has solved it. Despite "Button"s bald under-belly she seems like a happy little bird.
I do hope somebody with patience and time to spare will adopt that little Hahn's macaw.

2 comments:

  1. Is he completely black? I think I see some greenish tinge in a collar pattern around his neck, but can't be sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The photo came out dark. He is a forest green color.

    ReplyDelete