Monday, February 25, 2013

the Wild pigeons of Salisbury Beach part 87

The winter is tough one-especially when the weather is snowy, rainy and freezing cold.
.It so dry and dark out with blasts of blinding piercing light. Ugh
I am finally emerging from a two week migraine and zomig haze.
It's awful.
I strive to be outdoors for some fresh air and exercise but some days it's impossible.
We had yet another snow storm yesterday with wet heavy snow.
 I ventured out this morning to feed the pigeons.
As I was waiting for them to come down to eat  I noticed one up the telephone line had fallen off the line into a snowbank! I ran over to him seeing him struggle around with his beak stuck to his tail feathers!
The poor creature evidently tried to groom bits of ice and frozen debris off his tail feathers and got stuck! It was just like a kid who would stick his tongue to a metal pole covered with ice.(Think of the scene in the "Christmas story") With his struggle and my attempts to free him he was released unharmed. He flew up on the ice cream sign, frazzled, looking a bit embarrassed.
I noticed one poor unfortunate pigeon frozen and squished on the street.
sigh...

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear you've been feeling bad, V. The pigeon you rescued is lucky you were out at all.

    ReplyDelete