Tuesday, October 2, 2012

the wild pigeons of Salisbury beach part 83

My Husband cracks me up.
For my birthday he bought me a 3 disk set of DVDs on pigeons. It shows the history of pigeons in religion, how they were used in war-time, racing pigeon stories, a pigeon museum in Germany and all kinds of quirky oddities relating to pigeons.He also bought me a book on pigeons as well.
We are both pigeon crazy.
Last week I took Craow Dum to the vet for any and all last ditch efforts to possibly do something in regards to the bump on her head that is growing. My vet consulted with pigeon vets in Georgia for advice on this case-especially what to do about the rotting beak and bulging sinus's.
We did a mucus swab and blood test for the circovirus.
Circovirus in pigeons is basically "pigeon AIDS". It attacks the immune system and rots the beak. Baby and juvenile pigeons contract this from God knows where.Secondary infections move in and they can't fight it. They  generally die within a month. There is no cure.
The vet called me this morning with the results.
She tested positive for the virus.
In some way, I am relieve with hearing the results. At least now, I know I've done everything possible  and nothing is over looked.
The vet was amazed Craow Dum had lived this long and we now knows why all the antibiotics used couldn't knock out the bacterial infection.
This virus is exclusive to pigeons so my other birds are safe.
Oddly, the pigeon doesn't seem all that bothered.She is happy eating, pooping and sleeping on my lap.
She even watched the senate debate on TV last night with me..
She sneezed a big blob of snot on the TV screen when Elizabeth Warren ranted on.
I am guessing Craow Dum has more of a Republican leaning.  :-O

1 comment: