Sunday, September 30, 2012

the pigeon went to church

Oct 3rd is St. Francis's day.
Most of the churches in my area of all denominations hold a'blessing of the Animals" service.
Last week the Orthodox Greek church held a service as well as two Episcopal churches.
This morning the Unitarian Universalist church held service.
 I had been sick for that last few days so I had no energy to do much of anything. However, my dear husband volunteered to take me to the service with the pigeon.
Yes, you read that right.
I went to church with the pigeon.
I called my cousin to see if she was interested in attending the service with her dogs as well.
It was kind of funny seeing all kinds of people attending service with their animals.
Most people there took their dogs. One kid brought his guinea pig. I have to say, the dogs and their people were well behaved and attentive.
A few people brought pictures of their departed pets for a blessing as well.
Craow Dum enjoyed the service. I think she really liked the hymns. After an hour or so being stuck in her carrier, she was getting a bit restless and was bustin'-a-move cooing and twirling.
The same was said for my cousin's dogs, "Jackie" (her elderly pom) and "Cuddles" (her deaf cocker spaniel). Cuddles took it one step further and starting rummaging through an unsuspecting seated church-goers  purse for potential treats (or even tissue paper to chew).
The benediction is as followed,"Gracious Creator,
                                                 Hear and bless
                                                 Thy beasts and singing birds
                                                 And guard with tenderness
                                                 Small things that have no words"
                                                 Amen
And so, yes, the pigeon went to church and was blessed by the minister.
                                           
                           

2 comments:

  1. Good for you guys. I think Craow Dum and her flock were behind this poem by Emily Dickinson:

    “Hope” is the thing with feathers -
    That perches in the soul -
    And sings the tune without the words -
    And never stops - at all -

    And sweetest - in the Gale - is heard -
    And sore must be the storm -
    That could abash the little Bird
    That kept so many warm -

    I’ve heard it in the chillest land -
    And on the strangest Sea -
    Yet - never - in Extremity,
    It asked a crumb - of me.

    Hugs to all of you and yours,
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely poem. Many people who have 'lost' their parrot pets read this poem for comfort :-)

    ReplyDelete