Sunday, October 7, 2012

dive #878 October 7 2012

Dive #878 October 7 2012
It is remarkable how the weather, wind, light and temperature changes right after Labor day.
 A few weekend dives had been cancelled due to lousy weather conditions. Although today was predicted to be cold ( in the upper 40s) at least it would be dry.
We had Fred, Chris and Pete running the show. Alan H, and two new guys, Dennis and Bob, getting their end of season dives in.
Since the wind was blowing out from the north we headed south. We ended up tucked in behind Kettle Island.
 I jumped in for my "end of season" dive. As Pete would say, the water was "a bit brisk".
 I got a temp reading of 47F at 40 feet. Pete got a reading of about 45F at 50 feet.
The viz was a decent 25-30 feet with a bit of comb jellies and "whale snot" to make it interesting. I found it to be a bit dark due to overcast skies.
I tried staying under the boat but a current pushed me out a bit. I saw a few large lobsters and schools of small cunners.
The cold water felt good on my head but my hands were completely numb so I bowed out of the second dive at Egg rock.
I was shivering.
I traded a "John Wayne" sandwich for a nice juicy red apple with Alan. The green apples I brought with me were inedible. They are really really sour so I was pleased with my trade. I thought I would be hungry enough being on the boat all day that I would eat it regardless. (My sister, however, prefers these green apples over any other kind)
. Nope, I took a few bites of one and they were just  too sour and tough.  I'll just stick to cooking those sour green apples instead.(My husband brings them home from work so I have a huge pile of them.)
We made it back to dock without any incident..
I have to say, it was a decent day .
I hate to see the season end.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a pretty great day... except for the cold part. AND you toughed it out and didn't break your NO SOCKS WITH SANDALS rule! YAY!

    -Fox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha ha! God forbid I wear socks and sandals that would be a serious fashion violation.It was bad enough that I was wearing FLAT heeled sandals. :-O

    ReplyDelete