Tuesday, October 16, 2012

frankenpigeon part 3

Well I just picked up all the meds we will try on Craow Dum in a last ditch effort. I had to go to three different places to get the meds since some of them were special ordered and compounded.
1) Metacam 100ml
.01ml given twice a day for three days and once a day for 14 days .
This is a standard anti-inflammatory liquid "aspirin' like med that I picked up at the vet office.
2) flucanozole 10mg/ml
.3ml twice a day for 30 days
This is an anti-fungal med that I had to get at CVS. This stuff was wicked expensive.
3) tinidazole 100mg/ml 3 ml
.08ml twice a day for 30 days
This is an specialized anti-protozoa med similar to metronnidazole that is commonly used but stronger.
I had to special order this one as well as the other meds following this at a specialty compounding drug store.
4)clindamycin 100mg/ml 5 ml
.15ml twice a day for 30 days
Potent anti-bacterial geared for bone infection
5) levofloxacin 50mg/ml 2.5ml
.06ml twice a day for 30 days
Another strong anti-biotic. This was hard to find. this one is also unstable which means it degrades quickly so you can't store it for more than a week.
I just gave Craow Dum her first round of meds. She did OK so long as I went very slowly using the syringe from the compounding company. This caused a flood of snot to come out of her nose. I am guessing this is a good thing.
We shall see if this works as suggested from a lady who appeared to have the same issue with her pigeon.(as I wrote about on the past Frankenpigeon posts) I have been back and forth with corresponding to her about details. She suspected that her pigeon when she found him had circovirus although she never had him tested because all the treatment she had used on him did not work until she tried this 5 bang combination.
We shall see

2 comments:

  1. Wow! What a regimen. You will be giving her a shot at recovery for sure. My fingers are crossed for both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Family members think I am insane. I am starting to wonder myself.I am actually making myself sick over it. I am going to do what I need to do and then, take a break to examine the situation realistically.
    I do feel responsible as the care-taker of my birds to give them the best care humanly possible.

    ReplyDelete