Sunday, September 16, 2012

dive #876 & 877 September 16 2012

Dive #876 Sept 16 2012
The SE wind had shifted from thursday's heat wave to today's brisk NW wind.
 I was glad I packed my dry suit for today's trip.We ventured out to Loblolly cove hoping for some protection from the wind.
We had Fred, Chris and Pete in charge with Lareint helping out with just about everything. We had Lynda,Myanna, IL and Stu as customers. As we were heading out past the Eastern point Lareint spotted a mola mola (ocean sunfish) with it's fin flopping back and forth on the surface. "He' was a crusty ol' soul covered with barnacles (the mola mola, not Larient) .September is usually the time of year you see mola molas, if you see them at all. This was a treat!
The viz was so so at about 7-10 feet max. Water temp was 57F at 20 feet. It was nauseatingly surgy. As I am typing this, I can still feel the effects .I figured I was done for the day after that dive
Dive #877
For the second dive site, we anchored at Brace's cove.The waves were viciously crashing down by the rocks which made me a bit nervous.Chris was getting her exercise rowing close to where any divers drifted away from the inner part of the cove just to keep an eye out. One diver was heading further out in the ocean drifting a bit too close to the area where the waves were crashing on the rocks. Since he did not surface to check his whereabouts I opted to don my dry suit and steer him back to the boat, for safety sake.
He was swimming at a pretty good clip. I finally caught with him before he reached those rocks. I was dead tired after that swim. Lareint plucked me up out of the water with one hand like I was a suitcase.
Amazing.
All I can say is that we  will all sleep well tonight.
Never a dull moment though. As the boat was making it's way back through the slosh, another diver fell over board. I was glad I still had my suit on as I making my way to the stern of the boat  just in case I  needed to jump in. Thank God she was not hurt, just wet. Even her cookies got wet looking like a mushy pile of bird poop on the platform.
Yeah, never a dull moment.

3 comments: