Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Scrotalia McBoogerballs

My cousin is very active in her town's affairs.One activity in particular that she was instrumental in is the town's pilot program of their dog "off leash' program. As a result of her active participation, many dog owners know her as well as the animal control officers.
She has three dogs, two of them are quite elderly with 'special needs".
 She will also on occasion 'babysit" other people's dogs as well. She loves dogs and has a "soft spot" for them. (If I was to be re-incarnated as a dog I would one lucky hound to be under her care!.)
She just recently got a call from the neighboring town's animal control officer asking her if she would temporarily 'foster' a dog she picked up wandering around on the beach. Without a second thought she said,'yes', without clearly knowing what she would be getting into. My cousin did know that the dog was old and was kind of scrotty looking but when the dog officer finally brought the dog to her home (after failing to show up a few times as scheduled -which I thought was extremely rude and thoughtless) she was shocked to see what she saw. The dog's tongue was hanging out of her mouth, her back legs were malformed due to a former injury that was never attended to, bald spots all over the rump due to a skin ailment, cloudy eyes, dirty ears, stinking like urine and had badly over grown toe nails. This poor creature was seriously neglected.
(I was disgusted with the animal control officer once again to the fact she dropped this dog off at my cousin's house in such filthy conditions without a bath nor a vet visit .I'm sure  I would be given some  (lame) excuse but I just thought this was kind of obnoxious.*It's just my opinion, that's all.)
When my cousin was telling me the sad story about the condition of this dog , as a defense mechanism to deal with sad situations, I made a few jokes.
 This story particularly reminds of the joke about the dog missing an eye and has three legs that responds to the name "Lucky".
 I started calling this dog Scrottie McBoogerballs after the (sophomoric) cartoon "South Park' episode. Since the dog was a female we called her "Scrotalia" instead.
My cousin ended up taking this dog  to the vet because she was in pain. The vet gave her a 'look/see" and prescribed pain meds and eye drops for the time being. Since the dog is considered the town of Salisbury's property  this was all my cousin could do for the time being to at least keep the dog comfortable under the town's jurisdiction.
I had to go over to see this dog .
My God, what a poor wretched creature!
Regardless, she is a sweet little thing with a nice disposition. She ate good and pooped outside without any issues.
We both did a 'search' on the internet to see if anyone was missing a dog but we both think she was just 'let go" to fend for herself. She might have been some elderly person's pet who was in no condition to care for it and then it was chucked outside by the family afterwards.
Who knows.
She is such a sweet little dog who needs some veterinary maintenance care for her skin ailment, pain management and just some TLC to be able live out the rest of her life. Or perhaps the injury to her leg is too far gone and she will have to be humanely put down.
The fate of the dog is under the dog officer's issuance by the end of a 10 day stay.
My cousin and I kind of joke with each other on how do we end up with these poor creatures?. She has two elderly dogs already that are blind and deaf. I have a beakless pigeon, a two budgies with tumors, a feather picking cockatiel and a mentally retarded cockatiel.
We are both big "softies".
I am a bit anxious and worried to what will happen to the dog at the end of the 10 day period.
Will the former owners come forward? Is the dog healthy enough to be adopted? or is the dog too far gone to be saved?
Either way, I hope in the end it will be a humane choice.

4 comments:

  1. It is amazing that the dog is still alive with all those issues. You would have thought some scavenger like a coyote would have caught her for lunch. She's lucky that your cousin cares enough to look out for her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The verdict is in.
    Due to the injury causing non-stop pain, poor little Scrotalia will be humanely put to sleep.
    At least she will be comfortable at her last hours with my cousin and then finally, relieved of pain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We contacted Pekinese Rescue and they put an all points bulletin out with other Rescues. Someone is coming down from Portland, Maine on Sunday to take the dog into her care. It's called Little Paws Peek Rescue. The animal control officer had an appointment at the vets at 12:30 for euthanasia but the old gal has been granted a stay of execution! Thank the Aztec gods for these angels!!!

    ReplyDelete